finding support

by notewe 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

But I have always struggled with feelings that I do not measure up.

Of course, that is they way they hook people in, the feeling is totally common to JWs.

Or having a portion of the Holy Spirit, like others speak of.

The WT don't want you to believe this but the text speaks loud and clear

Acts 2:17-18 (New International Version)

17 " 'In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
    18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.

And once again, later in the same chapter "all" is used, not just a select few

Acts 2:38-39 (New International Version)

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

And again, the Holy Spirit is for us all who believe and He is our guarantee

Ephesians 1:13-14 (New International Version)

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

Blessings,

Stephen

• dgp
    dgp

Notewe, welcome to the board. I never was a witness, and never will be, thanks to this board, among other things. I'm absolutely sure that the people here will support you. I'm afraid I can't be of much help to you, since I was never in, but I'm willing to do whatever I can.

• flipper
    flipper

NOTEWE- Welcome to the board friend ! You have come to the right place for support. Many of us have gone through similar feelings you are going through. First of all- Please understand it is the WT society and Jehovah's Witness organization that doesn't " measure up " to what should be God's organization . You measure up just fine. The WT society uses mind control tactics to make all witnesses feel bad about themselves and unworthy. They use " guilt " and " fear " to instill a feeling of not measuring up enough. Two books that are a must read which really helped me to understand why I had feelings like not measuring up were " Combatting Cult Mind Control " & " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves " , both by Steve Hassan. The second book " Releasing " even mentions Jehovah's Witnesses in it and helps you understand how to overcome inadequate feelings. I highly recommend these books to you. It will really help you understand what has happened to you.

I will PM you my phone number if you'd like to talk sometime. Hang in there. Lots of people on the board willing to help

• notewe
    notewe

Thanks! I will take some of your suggestions...and will be sure to PM back :)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

notewe - I'm in your area and will pm you my phone number if you want to talk. However, there are so many wonderful people on this board living all over the place who are ready and willing to provide support - you don't necessarily need someone physically close.

so much of what you say resonates with me, because i, too, am an overacheiver and defined myself by the roles I tried to play as an exemplary JW, pioneer, etc. When I discovered that the elders really considered me an unimportant nothing, someone who was not even worthy of teaching my own children (during the period I was DF'd), it was devastating.

Moving on withoiut support of family and friends is difficult, but there are strategies that can help. For me, going back to university and opening my mind was an essential step. Getting involved in a project that is meaningful personally is something I think helps almost everyone. I did speak to a number of non-JW counsellors and therapists, but this involved explaining my background as a JW and why I was so consumed with guilt - then facing their shock and horror usually made things much worse. Talking to people like those here on this board, who have been there and understand, is really helpful.

Getting out and staying out has been the best thing I've ever done for myself and my children, so it is worth the struggle.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Pm'ing you my phone number. If you don't have unlimited long distance, I do!

• notewe
    notewe

Thank you mamochan13. I found the same in trying to talk to to others the few times I did. There is so much misunderstanding out there...that I found myself explaining, and even at times defending instead of just being able to talk things thru. I guess this is why I finally posted on here.....and I am so appreciative of the response. Thank you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit