A JW attending funerals at a church.

by garyneal 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

My mother-in-law attend the funeral of her father-in-law (my wife's grandfather on her father's side) at his church (a baptist church). Before we went in the church, she (mother-in-law) told me that she wanted to warn me that if they get into the singing and praising of God, don't be surprised if I see her not participating. I said, "Because of that whole, interfaith thing, right?" She said, "Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't stumble you." I replied, "I am more afraid of stumbling you."

My mother and father in law got up and was about to leave in the middle of the funeral. They met me in the church's front lobby as my daughter was being her usual restless self. Since my in-laws offered to take my daughter to the store and get her something to eat and my daughter did not want to leave me, I offered to go with them out of respect. Bear in mind that the funeral is still in process (my father in law's own father).

However, my mom in law, daughter and I went to her van and my daughter ate some of the goodies she had packed. Father-in-law stayed in the church and mother-in-law eventually went back and joined them. Funny how that worked out. The JW's stayed in the church (including my wife) and I was the one outside most of the time with my daughter.

I've heard that JW's are not suppose to attend funerals at churches, is this true? What does the 'all-knowing' WT have to say on this? Can a witness be disfellowshipped for attending these funerals? Somehow I doubt it, but I did hear that attending these funerals is not encouraged?

I guess I am just trying to understand my in-laws strange behavior.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Long time ago, my JW family went to the Church Funeral after my two worldly relatives were killed in motorcycle accident, we just sat at the back row. While rest of my worldly relatives sit on the front. We just thought it would offend them very much if we did not attend the services at all, so we went. We did the two bodies viewings.

• yellow
    yellow

My mothers funeral was held at a cremotorium a local church minister took the service. A few of the witnesses came including an elder. They all sat at the back, whilst I sat at the front amongst my family, (it would have caused an upset to my family if I didn`t) I didn`t sing any of the hymns, my brother noticed this and asked why I wasn`t singing. I said I was a bit choked. I didn`t bow my head during the prayer. None of the witnesses took the order of service sheet away with them. Which was a bit hurtful. After the service the elder only remarked on the garbage that the church minister was talking about said nothing about the moving tribute the minister gave about my mum.

• garyneal
    garyneal

yellow,

You know I watched my mother in law and notice that she too did not bow her head during the prayer. I take it you were still a witness during this funeral, did the elder's comments have any effect on your view of the witnesses? I am assuming you are out now?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I know I had a copy of a "Questions from Readers" item that said in effect "NO, do not attend funerals in churches, not even for family members", but I dont' know where it is. The Ex did in fact attend funerals in churches, for family members on both sides (hers as well as mine). She was obviously not at ease being there, but she did come and support the families. For that I am proud of her, it was the right thing to do.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    For that I am proud of her, it was the right thing to do.

It is indeed the right thing to do. I find it difficult to believe that people will so stupidly and blindly follow WT teachings without asking themselves if what the WT is saying makes any sense. CULT MIND CONTROL at its finest.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I can't imagine a jw entering a church for fear of all the demons that inhabit it. I never would've when I was a jw.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Funny thing is, this church had the crown and cross symbol displayed prominantly inside the church. I told my wife that it was the symbol associated with freemasonry and was also found on the copies of the Zion's Watchtower as well as on Russell's pyramid memorial.

One of the relatives of my father-in-law has ties to freemasonry.

• tiffy0212
    tiffy0212

My husband lost his mother ten years ago and walked out of the church and when his father died he didn't even go in the church. When his mom died I stayed in the church because I loved her very much and deeply respected her. When his dad died I asked if he was going in the church he said he didn't know, I took that for a no and didn't even attend that one. I never liked his father and he caused many problems. I did go to view the body, but left before the service began. He burned me once by walking out and I wasn't going to let him do it again. So sad to show disrespect for parents that he claims to have loved.

• homejah
    homejah

I remember that info because my relatives who are JWs did not go to my cousin's funeral at a church. I wonder why JWs want to invite a person to a Kingdom Hall but ,not except a invitation of a church member to his/her services?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit