A JW attending funerals at a church.

by garyneal 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I wonder why JWs want to invite a person to a Kingdom Hall but ,not except a invitation of a church member to his/her services?

Interfaith, that's why. They are against it and they are one of the most divisive religions I have ever encountered.

So sad to show disrespect for parents that he claims to have loved.

Well that was my thoughts too when I saw them getting up and leaving during the service. I think for my father-in-law, he was definitely torn between paying his respects to his dad and respecting his religious beliefs (even if they are wrong). I would imagine if my father-in-law had indeed left during the service, some of his family members would not have been pleased.

BTW, my mother-in-law did a little 'informal witnessing' to the grave diggers after the funeral. Bet she managed to count an hour for FS.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Years ago my Father In Law passed away from Cancer. He was Catholic and his wife also Catholic had a Catholic funeral service for him. Two of their kids and I the daughter in law were JW's. We all attended the funeral service in the Catholic church and stood respectfully when they stood and sat when they sat. No Elders bothered us about this and it never occured to me that anyone would have a problem with it. I can't imagine a JW not attending the funeral of their parent who was of another faith.

I heard of witness who didn't attend other churches for funerals but I always throught they were asses. LOL

Ruth

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I heard of witness who didn't attend other churches for funerals but I always throught they were asses.

Agreed, either that or they are so deluded that they actually put the book publishing company's rules before people.

• Titus
    Titus

I attended a funeral in RC church. Of course, I didn't celebrate a mass together with them (which includes repeating priest's words, saying "amen" and giving a hand to your neighbour...). But, after the Church Funeral, I had nice conversations with my non-JW relatives. I could talk about many Bible scriptures which priest mentioned and explain them.

Finally, I was not "afraid of all the demons that inhabit church..."

Was it www.rong? I believe, not.

• nugget
    nugget

I have attended several non JW funerals from Catholic to Humanist. I always felt that this was the last thing you can do for anyone you loved and respected in life. Although I didn't participate in the religious elements I made an effort not to be conspicuous. After all whatever the service once they were dead they were in God's keeping .

• blondie
    blondie

It is not forbidden but strongly discouraged.

*** w02 5/15 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

Would it be advisable for a true Christian to attend a funeral or a wedding in a church?

Our taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to Jehovah and must be avoided. (2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Revelation 18:4) A church funeral is a religious service that likely involves a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas as the immortality of the soul and a heavenly reward for all good people. It may also include such practices as making the sign of the cross and joining in prayer with the priest or minister. Prayers and other religious exercises contrary to Bible teaching may also be a part of a religious wedding ceremony held in a church or elsewhere. Being in a group where everyone else is engaging in a false religious act, a Christian may find it difficult to resist the pressure to join in. How unwise to expose oneself to such pressure!

What if a Christian feels obligated to attend a funeral or a wedding held in a church?An unbelieving husband, for example, may urge his Christian wife to be with him on such an occasion. Could she join him as a quiet observer? Out of regard for her husband’s wishes, the wife may decide to go with him, being determined not to share in any religious ceremonies. On the other hand, she may decide not to go, reasoning that the emotional pressure of the circumstances could prove to be too much for her, perhaps causing her to compromise godly principles. The decision would be hers to make. She definitely would want to be settled in her heart, having a clean conscience.—1 Timothy 1:19.

In any case, it would be to her advantage to explain to her husband that she could not conscientiously share in any religious ceremonies or join in the singing of hymns or bow her head when prayer is offered. On the basis of her explanation, he may conclude that his wife’s presence could give rise to a situation that might be unpleasant to him. He may choose to go alone out of love for his wife, respect for her beliefs, or a desire to avoid any embarrassment. But if he insists that she go with him, she might go as a mere observer.

Not to be overlooked is the effect our attending a service in a religious building might have on fellow believers. Could it injure the conscience of some? Might their resistance to avoid engaging in idolatry be weakened? "Make sure of the more important things," admonishes the apostle Paul, "so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."—Philippians 1:10.

If the occasion involves a close fleshly relative, there may be additional family pressures. In any case, a Christian must carefully weigh all the factors involved. Under certain circumstances he or she may conclude that no difficulties would arise from attending a church funeral or wedding as an observer. However, the circumstances may be such that by attending, the likely injury to one’s own conscience or to that of others would outweigh the possible benefits of being present. Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that the decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men.

• undercover
    undercover
    It is not forbidden but strongly discouraged.

True, but as we know the local pharisees elders set their own rules. It can be decided on the congregation level that if a MS, pioneer or elder attends a funeral/wedding at a church, they can lose their position/privileges. I think it was minimus who had an experience of this in his family. This in effect helps convince the congregation that it is condemned.

What gets me is that even though the Society, in writing, has not forbidden it, the dubs will get in their head that is forbidden because of the strict interpretation of a select few in the congregation. So you'll have a whole segment of the congregation deny themselves rights and privileges that weren't taken away and by peer pressure they impose these sanctions on the rest of the congregation. In time, it becomes an unwritten law and everyone just falls in line obeying something that was never proclaimed.

• blondie
    blondie

I understand the blackmail pressures of the WTS...but in the end, a jw won't be df'd for attending. 2 elders attended the funerals of 2 of our non-jw relatives. They stayed elders. It is true that it depends on the conscience of the elder body. But I have never seen anyone df'd for attending.

• undercover
    undercover

I agree Blondie, it is not a DFing offense and I've never heard of anyone being DFd for it as well.

But due to the emotional blackmail practices, many dubs fear it as if it were a DFing offense...so the end effect is that another aspect of their freedom has been controlled, even if it was never official.

These issues are tricky because you can't just go around saying, "The Society says you can't go to worldly funerals or funerals in a church" because technically it's not true. And if we make blanket statments like that to apologists or active JWs they can point out our error and then anything we say is suspect.

That's why these subjects are best bitched about amongst ourselves. If you're trying to get a JW to see the controlling factor of the Society, it's better to go after something that they have actually put in print and can be verified.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

True no one will be df'd for going to a Church funeral . From personal experience though I know if you are an Elder or MS you will be threatened with loss of position if you do .

My Father in law and Brother in law are both Elders and refused to attend the Catholic Church service for my husbands Aunt because of this unwritten sanction . (it may be counsel in the Elders handbook though I 'm not sure )

At my Grandparents funeral at a Funeral home with a minister giving the service ,my husband (not a MS or Elder ) was admonished NOT to be a pallbearer because that would be part of the service.....made me furious that they interfered and didn't just let him make up his own mind about this personal matter . Instead they threatened to take away any priviledges he did have .

USA midwest is full of staunch meddle in your life type Elders ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit