How Many Here Were Turned Down For "Privileges" Because You Weren't "Exemplary"?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Our odd body of elders would not allow the one person who wanted to mow the lawn at the Kingdom Hall to do this because he was not getting 10 hours in a month, he was only getting in 7. Seriously.

Were you ever told you couldn't have a "privilege" because you didn't measure up to their lofty standards?

• dudeson
    dudeson

I couldn't pass the mic's because my monthly service time dropped from an average of 6-8 hours a month to 4.

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, passing the microphones is a heavy spiritual job.

• cantleave
    cantleave

When I was in my early 20's I was told if I was reaching out I should be more serious during meetings. That didn't like the fact that I used to take the micky out of most of the speakers. When I was an MS I told I had I had a trendy haircut, which I had to grow out. The funny thing was my hair was cut by CO's sister (she also permed and highlighted it a couple times).

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

All the time. I left a gang that was "blood in, blood out", fought consantly with my Marine father who was VERY opposed, well the list goes on, but I was not "Exemplary" because I hated selling magazines in the name of God.

My friends all went to Bethel and the "elder" who turned down my request to apply spent actually 30 seconds with me and did not know my name. His sole basis for his decision was my field service report, I think my average was 8 or 9 hours. BUT, I went in field service with the threat hanging over my head from my father of being beaten if he found out I did that. But, I was not exemplary, AWWWW the love.

After reading stories about what life at Bethel was like, I would have lasted about five minutes at Bethel. As soon as I saw I was supposed to live in a 2 person apartment with 6 other people I would have said "I'm out". Or, if someone had told me I couldn't go out for breakfast but had to eat in the communal hall I would have been like "yeah, right". (I LOVE breakfast and I always go out for a nice big breakfast.) No way I am wolfing breakfast down in 20 minutes and then being harangued by some old farts. NO WAY. So, if I had gone to Bethel I am sure I would have been asked to leave on my first or second day. LOL.

• minimus
    minimus

HappyGuy, you're a fine example of "bad ass ociation".

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Those who want to go to Bethel usually don't get invited unless they are pioneering at the time of their application. Also, do they get along with the elders? (aka, kiss their @$$?) Means those comments elders put in are good ones.

On my body, we had a rule, 8 hours to do most anything save carry a mic. You had to be over 5 hours for that. Anything under 5 hours and you were considered a "low hour" publisher. (not that JW's label anyone. They don't)

Unfortuantely for me, I was never turned down for privileges. Bummer....

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

AllTimeJeff,

Were you allowed to refuse to let the brother fill out an application for Bethel. THe elder who did not know my name wouldn't even let me fill out an application.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Were you allowed to refuse to let the brother fill out an application for Bethel. THe elder who did not know my name wouldn't even let me fill out an application.

It's up to the discretion of the elders. We weren't supposed to waste those precious applications, as they got printed once a year. So I suppose if the elders knew you had zero chance going in, they would deny you an application.

You have to keep in mind, if a body of elders forwards a doomed bethel or gilead app, they will get a letter back, cc'd to their CO, reminding them of protocols on filling out applications.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

My "theocratic" name was "Tommy Perfect."* I was better than you.

*see "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit