BAN IN RUSSIA

by zions watchman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• defective light
    defective light

The Associated Press 12/11/2009

MOSCOW — Russia’s highest court has upheld a ruling that halts the activities of a regional branch of Jehovah’s Witnesses and bans dozens of its publications.

In September, a court in Rostov-on-Don outlawed the group’s activities in the region, seized its assets there and labeled 34 of its publications extremist. The Russian Supreme Court upheld the ruling, court spokesman Pavel Odintsov said this week.

The list of banned books includes the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ signature magazine, The Watchtower.

"We are deeply disappointed with that decision," spokesman Yaroslav Sivulskiy said

Great news for EX jws.... Bad news for "Freedom of religion" advocates

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I truly feel sorry for the naive Russian JWs. Many will go to prison as the headquarters will be stressing them to still meet together beyond 2 or 3 members and still pushing them to preach somewhat publicly instead of discreetly and still encourage them to get Watchtowers and banned literature out all the more so as the "end" nears.

Gayle - you are so correct!

I met a couple from Russia a couple of years ago when they were visiting, and they were two of the nicest people i have ever met. We had great conversations about growing up in a Communist state, the general attitude of the Russian people towards religion, etc.....

They were humble, kind people who had seen a lot of horrible things in their life.

One thing that bugs me is that the WTBS recently had a yearbook where they wore like a badge of honor all of the stories of witnesses who had spent 30-40 years in the gulag and other prisons. The Polar Express will be firing up again heading to Siberia for many of these new ones!

They were hard-core though, having come in once Communism fell and the preaching work opened up. I truly fear for them, and feel sorry that they went from one totalitarian state to another without realizing it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit