"i woke up to find a demon at the end of my bed"

by highdose 15 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1233975/I-woke-demon-end-bed-One-womans-terrifying-account-sleep-disorder-afflicts-millions.html

this is a good article to explain all those werid dub storys. like most seemingly werid things it has a basis in sicence and can be explained

• highdose
    highdose

I woke up to find a demon at the end of my bed: One woman's terrifying account of a sleep disorder that afflicts millions
    By Alice Grebot
    Last updated at 11:56 AM on 08th December 2009

Hannah Foster was lying in bed with her eyes open. She could see by the clock that it was 3am, but something was very wrong - she couldn’t move a muscle of her body. Even worse, she could sense something pressing down on her and she was struggling to breathe.
    Consumed by panic, she tried to scream, but nothing happened.
    It felt like a nightmare, but she knew that it wasn’t, because she was too alert and she recognised her green flowery duvet and the wooden floor of her room.

Unrest: Hannah Foster has terrifying dreams
    Suddenly, she was able to move again and the feeling of pressure vanished. But she was left terrified, shaking and gasping for air.

‘It was like nothing I’d ever experienced before,’ recalls the 25-yearold from Brighton. ‘After a normal day at work, I went to bed around 11pm, as always, and the next thing I remember is waking up, basically paralysed.
    ‘It was terrifying. And the more I panicked, the more it felt like I couldn’t breathe properly.’
    What happened to Hannah might sound like something from a gruesome horror film, but it is in fact very real - she was experiencing a fascinating phenomenon called Sleep Paralysis (SP).

More...Swine flu jab dilemma: Parents and pregnant women refuse it but experts insist it's safe... so who's right?
    Heston Blumenthal: Cranial osteopathy cured my temper problem

Just as surprising, it is very common, explains Chris French, Professor of Psychology at Goldsmiths, University of London. Studies suggest that around 40 per cent of the general population experience SP at least once in their lifetime.
    ‘During an SP episode - which can last for anything between a few seconds and several minutes - a person is in a state where they are half awake and half asleep; sometimes they are able to open their eyes, but they’re aware they can’t move,’ he says.
    An unlucky few can have repeated attacks in one night or several times a week. In extreme cases, people can find their lives heavily disrupted by SP.
    ‘Sufferers may be reluctant to talk of
    their experiences, for fear of being shunned or ridiculed as “crazy”,’ he says. ‘This can lead to social isolation and even marital breakdown.’
    Sleep paralysis occurs during the REM (rapid eye movement) period of sleep. There are five stages of sleep, during the first four your brain and heart rates slow down.
    Then you enter a period of REM sleep - the fifth stage - where your brain is active and you experience-vivid dreams. ‘During this time the muscles are temporarily paralysed, probably as a protective mechanism to stop the sleeper acting out their dreams,’ says Professor French, who is the leading UK authority on the subject.
    ‘But with SP sufferers, for reasons we don’t understand, something goes awry with the process and the sleeper becomes consciously aware of that temporary paralysis.’
    Being unable to move is disturbing enough in itself, but around 5 per cent of people can also experience horrific visual hallucinations of dark shadows, lights or monstrous figures; a sense of something or someone else in the room; a feeling of pressure on your chest; and difficulty breathing or hearing footsteps or voices.
    Some suffers can have hallucinations about movement - such as being touched or dragged down the bed. It has even been suggested as a real cause, due to reports of alien abduction in the U.S.
    Hallucinations: Hannah sees a demon-like figure during som

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can just imagine what the dub family would say -

"Oh they can try and explain these things away, but we know better ! Isn't Satan devious ....geting all these people to believe that demons don't exist. That is how they trap you!"

More seriously , I thought this was interesting from the site that the story linked to :

"What causes it?

You might not realise, but Paralysis while you are asleep is a normal condition. Your body secretes hormones which relax certain muscles and prevent you from acting out your dreams.

If the hormone kicks in too fast when you are going to sleep, you may feel paralysed although still conscious. The process of waking up is paralysis in reverse, where the hormone doesn’t wear off fast enough as you wake up. Thus, you remain paralysed though conscious."

I must remember that article for the next time the subject comes up.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I experience sleep paralysis on a fairly regular basis. It can be unpleasant. Even when I was a Witness, though, I didn't blame it on "demon attacks."

• highdose
    highdose

sorry my 2nd post didn't have the full article! but link on the daily mail link and you will be able to read the whole thing

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sadly there are a lot of uneducated and superstitious people who blame a medical condition on invisible supernatural beings.

• wobble
    wobble

I used to wonder when I was a Dub, if powerful spirit creatures like demons and Satan exist, why don't they do something imaginative to prove they exist, or at least to fool us poor saps on earth, they just seemed to inhabit unverifiable anecdotes, never the real world.

For example, solve a crime, they must have seen who did the murder, so shop the bastard via a medium, they never did though.

I guess there is good reason for that.

love

Wobble

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

That's just one of the many dangers of picking up strange crack-man-hos at local bars.

Makes "coyote ugly" seem like a walk in the park, albeit with only one arm.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

"i woke up to find a demon at the end of my bed"

At first glance of topic, I imediatly thought of my kids LOL I woke up this morning with the feeling that a pair of eyes were watching me, I opened my eyes and my youngest was staring at me- 3 inches away from my face... scary stuff when haven't yet had your morning fix of coffee LOL

But back on topic here... I have experienced sleep paralysis a few times, it can be scary if you dont know what causes it.

Thankyou for the artical Highdose.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great Article. Thanks for Sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit