Bipolar disorder

by LunaFing 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I've been to this site. I just want to vent a little. I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder early this year. My mother who is a DEVOTED JW is having a hard time accepting that I have a problem that "Jehovah" cant fix. I spent months slowly losing my mind. When I would ask her for help, or talked to her about it she would say: "You just need vitamins and Jehovah" . I know the Watchtower has been publishing a lot of things lately on mental illness. Anyway, I finally broke and I attmited myself to a psychiatric hospital. I was there for 8 days. My mother finally started taking me seriously and came down to be with me and help with the kids. The whole time she was here all she would talk about how I need to come back to the truth. It drove me nuts! Now, she calls me everyday to make sure I'm ok. I dont answer the phone because she bombards me with questions and harasses me about coming back to the "truth". Does anyone have a similar problem or have advice on how to deal with her?

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

being in 'the truth' causes more mental health problems than I know. - so many people end up with manic depression (bipolar) or having a breakdown. - I believe its from inner conflict. there is a term for that, I can't remember what it was. - after a while just before I left I thought there was allsorts wrong, I had depression, thought I had ADD, saw a psychologist, pshychiatrist. - 18 months out and Im as right as rain! I have the odd off day but who doesnt. - thats just normal. _ would hate to go back to pretending to be something I'm not its enough to make anyone have sickness of the mind xx - I hope in time by NOT going back to 'the truth' you will heal and feel more positive. x x

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My daughter has rapid cycling bipolar disorder.

When she got sick before we knew what the diagnosis was, I realized

I had to leave the organization to get the proper help she needed.

Hang in there,

give your meds time to work out.

Hopefully, the organization will continue to put out articles that deal with mental health

and that it's not something you can just pray away, go to more meetings,

or simply has not one thing to do with ones spirituality.

hugs,

purps

• mouthy
    mouthy

My Grand daughter ( never baptised) but brought up as a JW by my still active JW daughter
    is Bi-polar
    She is driving me nuts, She spend her money so foolishly,I have had to pay her rent 3 times
    Her Disability check she wastes, She lives 9 hours away from me. & My daughter ( JW) helps
    her out alot. She threatens to kill her self often, wont take her meds Has been on the weed,
    Says she isnt now. Has two illigitment kids,same father ( he is married)

I am sorry you are suffering But stay on your meds. & get all the help you can God bless

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

bipolar disorder sounds tough.

I think you are doing the right thing in ignoring your mum's calls.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The JWS religion among the many that are out there in particular the apocalyptic ones such as the JWS

can instill a sorted amount of anxieties and depressions. In the simplest terms the religion does not believe or support

any intervention of help from the medical psychological help that is obtainable from a professional in practice.

In other words they perceive mental illness as a lack of spirituality and they blame the individual for this.

They wont and cant recognize the fact that people have these problems due to many times of physiological imbalances,

rather their explanation is the individual has been intervened by demonic and evil spirits.

Hence If you draw yourself closer to god's organization those spirits will quickly disappear

and you'll be healthy and happy again.

Medieval in concept but that what happens when people endear themselves with ancient mythology.

Your mother is just doing what she has been indoctrinated to do and that is of course to sell the WTS.

mythology to the public which creates financial support to the publishing corporation.

• xeracia
    xeracia

I've also been diagnosed bipolar so I can definitely sympathize. It will take awhile for them to find the right medication that works for you, and just a warning, some of them might even make you worse. But hang in there. Once they find one that is right for you it is absolutely worth the trouble. Don't ever quit taking something because it seems to be making you too sleepy all the time or because you don't like what it is doing to you without notifying your doctor.

As far as your mother goes. My advice would be to be honest with her. Tell her you appreciate her concern and helping with your children. And that you love her very much and want her to be apart of your life and the lives of your kids, but that you are going through a rough time right now, have no plans to return to that religion and her hounding you about it is making things more difficult for you. Ask her to please stop. Do it nicely, don't attack her. If she still gets angry about it then that is her problem. But any logical person should take the request to heart and back off on the matter. Hopefully that will work in this case and you can still have your mother in your life. If not, at least the hounding will stop and you can stop ignoring her.

• ninja
    ninja

can you not try another form of transport rather than cycling?....especially rapid cycling....that might help......

doc ninja.......always here to help

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

My wife has that condition also, she was diagnosed six months ago, she feels she has had it most of her life. We have been married for five years, the medications have sure changed her. She took medications before she knew she was bi-polar and more accepting of the fact something was (A foot) with her. She used to say "I don’t like the medications they make me feel (not like my self,”) I told her yeah” your calm for a change, love. Stay on your meds, and good for you for finding out.

• restrangled
    restrangled

My father was Bipolar...an elder for years before it was diagnosed.

The most important thing I can say is keep taking the meds. My dad would get to feeling better and stop, it would take a week or two and then we would notice the difference in his mood. We would ask about the meds, and then he would admit he stopped taking them.

His biggest complaint was, it seemed to fry his brain.

He was an extremely intelligent man.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit