Sister Williams, the brothers would like to see you in the back of the the hall!!

by freeman 21 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I liked the comment by a sports channel last night. The guy said that Serena represents the best and the worst in woman's tennis today. She plays part time and messes up the rating system, not really dedicated to the sport.

The good part is how well she plays and how gifted she is naturally.

As far as getting in trouble, I doubt that matters much to her. I don't think she is baptized and I doubt they will do anything to her.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

the only time Serena irritates me is when she thanks her God Jehovah after winning a championship. as if, if there was a god, he would give a hoot about her

tennis career. Serena is a multi millionaire, fixed for life and will in many years to come a tennis commentator making more millions. she got mad, its

easy to do when playing tennis, its an intense one on one sport. but she needs to apologize and her sponsors will be sure that she does.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Serena is refreshingly human. Messed up no doubt, lost her temper, and lost the match as a result. Justice served.

I don't really give a rats ass if she is a JW or not. If she wants to think she is while dating gangsta rappers and posing in SI Swimsuit issues, good for her.

I don't think she is a hypocrite. I think she is one of the few JW's who decides just how much of a JW she gets to be.

The real lessoon is, when you're rich, you can pretty much be yourself and do whatever you want. That doesn't make her a hypocrite. It doesn't make her a nice person either. I think anyone with a trace of humanity, which I credit her with, would be embarassed at how she acted. She knows what she did. Thats good enough.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

It was not a very professional thing to do to react in that way, JW or not.

Maybe now she'll get brought back to the hall the next time she attends, I'm sure there are many JWS wondering how this person can do the things she does

and still remain a JW, not to mention the artist formerly known as Prince.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

After looking at the video of the event its appears her foot might have been just at the edge of the line, it certainly was not an obvious fault

and probably shouldn't have been called on such an important serve.

Now if Jehovah was really on Serena's side as she says so then why did that line judge call a fault, curious minds want to know.

Maybe this is retribution for using his name numerous times in such a exploitive way........ummm ?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Many top players have chewed out the referees or used profanity in anger at some point in their careers but former bad-boy John McEnroe last night pointed out that in all his outbursts he never threatened harm to a referee or linesperson, so for him what Serena did was inexcusable. Mary Carillo said that she's never seen an on-court tirade as bad as this and she professed to be surprised that Serena was not given a suspension by the WTA. I'm absolutely sure Serena didn't mean it literally but she delivered threatening words while making threatening gestures to the lineswoman, and that crosses the line.

Being a Kim Clijsters fan, I am disappointed that the outburst stole from Kim the moment of joy of celebrating the moment of victory. Kim feels that this was the best match of her life and it just feels weird that she won it on a technicality. And I am disappointed that Serena didn't apologize for her outburst, at least insofar as it denied Kim the chance to play the matchpoint. But none of this matters much at all in the long run. I hope Kim can put the weirdness of last night behind her when she plays tonight.

And Kim as always is a class act. She would never have acted the way Serena did last night. That is why I am such a big fan of hers.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

She is first human and second a Jehovah's Witnesses. She doesn't really believe the things she was taught by the Governing Body but she is obligated to play the game because of her parents.

As a human first, she's also going to make mistakes. She's under huge amounts of pressure as a sportswoman, it was a temper slip. She got the point violation and that's the end of that. It was just the last point, otherwise we would have moved on from the discussion.

As a human first, she has the added pressure of walking the line between the JW and the tennis world. I am sure the thought of a judicial committee was not on her mind, nor was "displeasing Jehovah."

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

deleted by me.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

who cares. She is a tennis player that some day will provide fertilizer for plants

• koolaid-man

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit