Hello All!

by ihunt 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ihunt
    ihunt

Hello everybody! I figure it's about time that I stop silently lurking around this community and actually add to the conversation, so here goes a first post. A little about me-I was born "half-in", that is, my mother has been a witness for the entirety of my life whereas my father has never been. I was an active part of the congregation (at least for what an unbaptized publisher can do) until I turned 18 and got an opportunity to attend a university (go school!). After my freshman year, I returned home to a somewhat nightmarish scene, where a large portion of the community that I had been a part of since my childhood completely ignored my presence solely due to the fact that I had a desire to continue my education (I will say, however, that this was not true of all of them, and that I received some genuine support from unexpected places). That was when I began actively searching for TTATT. After finding Crisis of Conscience, In Search of Christian Freedom, 30 Years a Watchtower Slave, as well as the innumerable stories on either this site or similar sites, I finally had the evidence to back the inklings that I have had since my childhood.

Anyways, back to the present. I am still a student and am always searching for more information on the history, actions, and motives of the WTBTS (as I think any of us with family still in are...), which is one of the reasons why I have joined this site. Besides that, it is comforting to see others that have gone through similar struggles, as it is certainly not a shared experience between my peers and I at school. I would like to say thank you to Simon for creating this hub for open discussion, thank you to Crofty for that page o' essays, and all those that have posted their experiences and struggles on this board. I will be chatting with y'all soon!

-iHunt

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome iHunt!

I'm sure you'll get as much help and very useful info for your 'still-in' folks, as I have!

• dozy
    dozy
    welcome......
  • Miles
    Miles
    Hello ihunt, what did you study in university?
  • Gone and forgotten
  • jhine
    jhine

Hello ihunt and welcome ,

Jan

• flipper
    flipper
    IHUNT- Welcome to the board my friend. We are all survivors here from having been in a high control organization. Look forward to knowing you and giving you support ! Take care
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome ihunt! You have made the right choice to go to University.

The village idiots in the congregation are not to be taken seriously and it provides a good excuse for you to stop attending or participating.

Unfortunately the JW's still reflect their strange 19th century beliefs.

The WTBTS has also mixed their corporate culture into their dogma. How one dresses, the length of hair, capable women not permitted to be Elders or servants, getting involved in their follower's health decisions, discouraging higher education and in general being reckless with the health and welfare of their believers by preventing the congregation learning about or even notifying the authorities that they have a pedophile in their midst.

And some of these fools don't want to have anything to do with you?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

After my freshman year, I returned home to a somewhat nightmarish scene, where a large portion of the community that I had been a part of since my childhood completely ignored my presence solely due to the fact that I had a desire to continue my education (I will say, however, that this was not true of all of them, and that I received some genuine support from unexpected places). That was when I began actively searching for TTATT.

I wouldn't call your scene "nightmarish". Losing some 'friends' because you want an education isn't really losing anything important. Here's a real nightmarish scene: Leaving school to immerse yourself in the world of WT for 2 or 3 decades and then, finally, learn TTATT.

• kairos
    kairos

Welcome. So much to learn.

Reassure yourself with information that you are doing the right thing.

Did your father try to convince your mother that it was a cult?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit