Speaking Truth With Our Neighbour

by Spike Tassel 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

The 3rd study article in the June 15, 2009 issue of the Watchtower is entitled »Speak Truth With Your Neighbor«. It has as its opening subheading »Who Is Our Neighbor?«, which includes Paragraphs 4-7.

For those interested, page 17 is found in its entirety in a scan found at http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/180262/1/You-can-lie-to-apostates-but-not-the-elders-Aug-23-study-WT. This LINKED Topic has prompted me to start the Topic we are at here.

Paragraph 4 mentions that some Jewish leaders taught that the term "neighbor" was only to be applied to "worthy" individuals, such as fellow Jews or personal friends. In contrast, »We should regard all people as our neighbor, extending love even to those who act like enemies.« Scriptures cited in Paragraph 4 include John 14:9; John 4:5-26; Acts 10:28, 34-35; Matthew 5:43-45.

Paragraph 5 includes »By choosing our words carefully, even embarrassing or uncomfortable situations can be tactfully resolved without resorting to guile.« Scriptures cited in Paragraph 5 include Romans 12:9; Psalm15:1-2; Psalm 31:5; Colossians 3:9-10.

Paragraph 6 includes »Does being truthful with others mean that we must disclose every detail to whomever asks us a question? Not necessarily.« As an example, »Jesus said: "I will ask you one question. You answer me, and I will also tell you by what authority I do these things." When the scribes and older men were unwilling to give an answer, Jesus said: "Neither am I telling you by what authority I do these things." He did not feel obligated to answer the question in view of their corrupt practices and faithless example. Similarly today, Jehovah's people need to be on guard against apostates and other wicked men who use trickery or cunning for selfish purposes.« Scriptures cited in Paragraph 6 include Mark 11:27-33; Matthew 12:10-13; Matthew 23:27-28; Matthew 10:16; Ephesians 4:14.

Paragraph 7 includes »Yes, those who pry into the affairs of others or those who cannot be trusted to keep a confidence may find that others are reluctant to share personal information with them. How much better it is to heed Paul's inspired counsel: "Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business." At times, however, congregation elders may need to ask questions about personal matters in order to carry out their assigned duties. In such a case, our cooperation in speaking truth is much appreciated and is a great help.« Scriptures cited in Paragraph 7 include 1 Timothy 5:13; 1 Thessalonians 4:11; 1 Peter 5:2.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Spike- I have been researching proverbs and sayings from around the world, from the US "cunning men deal in generalizations!" and Japan "only a fool tests the water with both feet!" The only usefull 'proverb' I have found from the hebrew culture is this "never aproach a goat from the front, or a horse from the back nor a fool from any side!"...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"Neither am I telling you by what authority I do these things" is waaaaaay different than deceitfully concealing information or lying. The former is a straight forward, honest statement "I'm not going to tell you;" the lies and deliberately misleading statements made by elders seen on YouTube or exhorted as "spiritual warfare" (for example) are far different.

UNCLEAN!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Ephesians 4:25:

25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbour

But never mind what the Bible says. The Watchtower is far more important, eh?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

speaking truth, even by Jesus' example, allows for the social space provided by a clarifying question, even when one DOES answer. Integrity before Jehovah being what it is, silence (and the consequences that may result) is a worthy option, in various circumstances.

In the final analysis, Jehovah, being the God of free will, allows us the overriding freedom of making our stand in whatever way that may give Jehovah the glory. Proverbs 26:4-5 is a valuable sets of scriptures that I often consider, as is Acts 5:29, 38-39. James 3:5-18 is yet another sample of the wonderful guidance found in Jehovah's Word, the Bible.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    In the final analysis, Jehovah, being the God of free will, allows us the overriding freedom of making our stand in whatever way that may give Jehovah the glory.

What a wonderful display of faith in Jehovah's wisdom justice every single person who has left Jehovah's Witnesses has shown. Instead of relying on the conflicting words of imperfect men, these people have put their fate in Armageddon, quite literally their lives, in Jehovah's hands.

By their actions they have shown a disgust toward the hypocrisy and falsehoods of Jehovah's Witnesses and instead search for the true God on their own. They have endured taunts, hateful name-calling and other atrocities from members of the bad sect who lost favour with Jehovah through their reliance on the words of men. What a happyfying experience it will be when these faithful ones will be remembered by Jehovah.

Truly this gives Jehovah the greatest glory!

• Narkissos
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

At times? Need to ask questions about personal matters? Assigned duty?

I think they ought to try "However, the hounders need to continually intrude in all of our personal affairs in order that everything we do be what Jehovah (and the hounders) tell us, and we have no independent existence. We then owe them the absolute truth, so that we can make 100% sure that everything we do is exactly what we are told."

This is much more at home in a monastery than in the congregation of witlesses (who bash the Catholic church). At least, with a monastery, they are upfront with this before you even join. They will reject the application for monastery life the first time, and then give you three chances to honorably leave after you re-apply (and they are brutally honest about the hardships you will face if you do join). The witlesses, on the other hand, will lie to prospective members about this (telling them that it is nothing like this), and then have the hounders start intruding in personal lives. And unlike a monastery, you are not given any chances to leave.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Yes, those who pry into the affairs of others or those who cannot be trusted to keep a confidence may find that others are reluctant to share personal information with them.

This describes the elders I have dealth with to a T; they pry, and cannot be trusted to keep a confidence. Not one month ago I sat with a JC in which one of the elders revealed details of a meeting they had with another person; I mean details.

One has to wonder what they are hinting at with this article; why not just come out and say it is OK to lie to those who are regarded as apostate?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

We each mark who we must, even if these marked ones be elders at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit