Is there an honest way to make a living online?

by AK - Jeff 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Our area is hit hard by this recession. Unemployment is out the roof - close to 18%.

My wife has been trying to find work for over a year. She has done so very diligently. She is over 50, high school grad with some college but no degree yet. She has prob applied/sent resumes to 1200 to 1500 places in that time, doing much of it online, but also in person in the local area.

Nothing. She has looked at a few dozen online 'opportunities', but it is extremely difficult to sort out the legits from the scams. Today she applied to a medical transcription place that claims to employ workers from home to do that kind of work. They don't ask for money, and claim they will train online.

She is getting very concerned, as am I. She thought that at least she could pick up a burger flippin' job once the kids went back to school. So far no luck. I had a Dr's appointment today and he and I discussed the severe job problem in this area. He said that the temp place just down the street from his office was accepting applications for 18 part time jobs one day last week. The entire stripmall in which his office is located was deluged with applicants lining up all the way around the corner, and hundreds of cars flooded the parking lots all around.

Last week she finally got an interview - I think only the third in all that time. The job was part time, involved non-reimbursed driving of some distance, to do contract inventory for retailers. It pays $8 an hour. And they didn't call her back either.

Sorry for the rant. We are generally both upbeat and positive people, optimistic. But she desperately needs to find work.

Does anyone know of a way to sort out legitimate from illegitimate online businesses? She [or I for that matter] would love to find a way to make the internet pay.

Sorry, that turned into a rant unintended. But if anyone has ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Please - no sympathy posts - we are not seeking that. Just honest ideas in a troubled time.

Thanx and Namaste

Jeff

• brinjen
    brinjen

Lot of scams out there... my rule of thumb is if they don't ask for any money up front, they're usually legit (though, not always the case).

I've been trying out the t-shirt sites... uploading some of my artwork to put onto t-shirts. Most do it for free and you're paid a commission based upon what you sell. You get to keep the copyright on your artwork too. Haven't made much yet, but it's early days...

• flipper
    flipper

AK JEFF- On the side over the winter when my janitorial accounts weren't paying me on time ( sigh ) I started selling old 1920's to 1930's art prints I've collected for years on E-bay. It's a really good setup. You set up a paypal account where the buyer pays directly to paypal which wires directly to your bank. I've collected landscape scenery art from that time period for 11 years. The wife and I have over 100 framed old art prints on our walls.

So I took some unframed prints I wasn't going to keep- framed them up in old wood frames and sold them on E-bay. One month I sold about $500.00 worth. Another month about $ 200.00 to $300.00. So think about what items you have that you'd like to sell on E-bay that you don't use anymore- or that you and your wife have collected over the years. You'd be surprised what people will buy on the internet. Give it a try ! If you have any questions and need more details don't hesitate to call me or PM for sure ! Good luck to you

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm researching work at home jobs right now. My husband and I are pretty much in the same position as you and your wife are. If I find anything good, I'll let you know.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Jeff, dont know if this applies, but you decide.

I sell a benefit

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Has she applied with all the local temp agencies? You don't have to wait until they're hiring for a specific job. You should have your resume on file with them and be calling at least weekly or bi-weekly to see if they have openings. They can get new jobs in at any time and they give those jobs to whoever is the last person that called them. That's how I got hired. Sorry if I'm just repeating information you already know.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Goofed up...... ok continue

I sell a health benefits package to people that normally cant get health insurance. It is a national employer group plan so people can automatically qualify even if they have some serious health issues.

I buy leads on the internet for $3 a piece but you can get a lot of business from word of mouth.

You just need to know how to explain a concept. That shouldnt be too hard for a witness. You dont need an insurance license either since you aren't selling an insurance product, you are getting someone a part time job. You are a benefits enroller.

On a sale of $400 a month you will make $864. Some of that is advanced and the rest of it is paid to you "as earned" per month as people pay for their benefits. If that's of any interest, let me know.

[email protected]

• cawshun
    cawshun

AK Jeff- I agree with flipper, only you can sell anything on ebay. I heard of one lady that would go to good will stores, by things for a few dollars and then sell the item on ebay for 20, 40 and 60 dollars. I believe you can also go to wholesale sights on the internet and sell those items on ebay, clothing, shoes, purses and jewelry. You can also get with UPS and they will bring you shipping boxes and come to your house to pick up your shipment.

Go to ebay and look over all the categories of what is selling on there. I believe they even have a tutorial on selling.

I have bought a lot of books for my bookcase, baby blankets, antique linens, iron wall art, a baby crib. I always thought about getting into selling on there, just haven't had the time. oh yes, I bought antique tin ceiling tiles and made cornices and a bookshelf out of them.

It amazes me what people are interested in, someones junk is anothers treasure

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for all the ideas. I am bushed and headed off to bed, but will take a look when my eyes are open better.

Thanx again.

Jeff

• darthfader
    darthfader

Speaking of selling things on Ebay, a friend of mine does "cleanups" for Estate Sales. He picks up all the stuff (free of charge) that didnt sell and tosses most of it - whatever semi-valuable stuff is left over, he sells on Ebay. In some cases he'll do minor touch ups on furniture to increase it's value.

Darth Fader

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit