No pain in paradise?

by Hikaru 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Hikaru
    Hikaru

Er... I'd like serious answers on this please, because it's been on my mind ever since brought up.

Okay, so a friend and I were debating on AIM, and it went to the paradise thing. And he brought up a point...that I can't answer, grandma said there is an answer, but she doesn't know it.

So anyways, they say Jehovah will wipe out pain in the new system. But wouldn't he have to kill emotions and love then? Because if you remove the cause of pain, you'd have to take out the love too. In situations that the cause is emotions themselves. In the example he gave.

Person A likes person B, but person C likes person A, yet Person A doesn't return person Cs feelings. Wouldn't that make Person C in pain? How would you solve that without removing the cause, the love?

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I think that this always pointed towards physical pain. It always seemed to be tied up with the no sickness and death routine. I didn't relate it to emotional pain so I suppose I don't have an answer to that.

Anything pain related was always discussed in terms of there being no physical symptoms, discomfort etc.

• Hikaru
    Hikaru

But they always said things like disorders, and the mental issues we deal with now would be gone too. Wouldn't that include emotional pain?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Human perfection is supposed to eliminate jealousy, envy, greed, and hurtful desires that cause emotional pain. Personally, I no longer believe in that, but that is what Witnesses are told.

Ask yourself, what would Jesus do?

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    But they always said things like disorders, and the mental issues we deal with now would be gone too. Wouldn't that include emotional pain?

Logically, you would say yes. This highlights how simplistic the JW teaching is. As you rightly said in your earlier post it's often another person that's the source of emotional pain,so how would they be removed in a paradise earth? Good point.

There is no way that perfection can be achieved as we would all be a race of emotionless zombies.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Putting on my "JW-hat".....

Emotional pain is brought on my our imperfect state of mind... If we were ever in the "A loves B, but B loves C" situation, we would be geniunely happy that B & C are happy together - we would fully understand the complex nature of human relationships and be able to live happily everafter....

Blech.. I cant beleive I wrote THAT!

Darth Fader...

The "We will be perfect" statement covers a lot of paradoxes... barf!

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    The "We will be perfect" statement covers a lot of paradoxes... barf!

Yep - this is as good as the 'Jehovah will sort it' theory.

• darthfader
    darthfader

After reading some of the comments above - I think that the "Perfect State" can only mean one thing: God Like knowlege and power. There is no middle ground - this physical universe cannot contain "perfection" as described by the WTBS..

Darth Fader

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Physicial pain is a protection. I remember going on a rv with our PO. He read the scripture and said: "imagine putting your hand on a hot stove and not feeling any pain."

I stopped him right there infront of the rv and said - wait a minute, pain is there so we don't burn our hand off. That just doesn't make any sense.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Even Jesus experienced physical pain, so that is not what the scripture speaks of when it says that "pain will be no more." In paradise, the "former things" such as death, would be no more, and thus the emotional pain associated with them, too, would be gone. But, I agree with darthfader that such a state is not possible in this Universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit