you know you're from Arkansas if...

by teejay 19 Replies latest social humour

• teejay
    teejay

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

3. Stores don't have bags; they have sacks.

4. Stores don't have shopping carts; they have buggies.

5. You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it, no matter what time of the year.

6. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: I am fixing to go to the store.

7. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, or animal.

8. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

9. You carry jumper cables in your car ... for your OWN car.

10. You know what "cow tipping" and "snipe hunting" is.

11. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup,and Tabasco.

12. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.

13. You think sexy lingerie is a tee shirt and boxer shorts.

14. The local papers covers national and international news on one page but requires 6 pages for sports.

15. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

16. You know which leaves make good toilet paper.

17. You find 90 degrees F "a little warm."

18. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.

19. You know whether another Arkansan is from southern, middle, or northern Arkansas as soon as they open their mouth.

20. There is a Dairy Queen in every town with a population of 1000 or more.

21. Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past-time known as "goin wal-martin" or off to "Wally World."

22. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chili weather.

23. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop ... it's a Coke,regardless of brand or flavor.

24. You understand these jokes
    -------------

Fyi, last weekend someone asked me where I was from. I told them that "I'm from Arkansas, but I live in Oklahoma." I can't think of a better place on this earth to be from. I will always be...

.... a Razorback.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

If you've ever had chocolate gravy.
    If you've seen the inside of an outhouse.
    If you'd rather go coon huntin' instead of watchin' Monday night Football.
    If you used to think the Beverly Hillbillies was a Documentary.
    Tim B

• Dino
    Dino

WooooooPigSoooooieee
    WooooooPigSoooooieee
    WooooooPigSoooooieee....Razorbacks!!

Go...Hogs...Go!!

Do you remember the 1969 UA-UT heartbreaker?

I still love 'em.

Dino

PS You know the person from Arkansas is the one with the toothpick in his/her mouth in the wedding photos.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Tj,Tyy,Dino,

Actually many of these 'colloquialisms' are fairly indicative of any southern state.

I find that many of them are quite endearing, and bespeack an attitude toward life in general. A laid back, unhurried or perhaps more 'countryfied' background.

I miss the pig calling 'Sooooheeeee', eveingings full of firefly's and front porches, with warm 'oh lordy, your a mess', and all the other mundane chat that only a real southerner, can interpret and miss without appology. A slower way of life and tounge, is better imo.

Loved the whole list.

Danny

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Our kingdom hall had outhouses until 1973.
    They banned hound dogs in the kingdom hall in '68. (the dogs kept fighting during the meeting)

My mail was addressed
    TimB
    General Delivery
    Deer, Arkansas 72628

TimB

• teejay
    teejay

tyydyy,

If you used to think the Beverly Hillbillies was a Documentary.

You mean it wasn't? Damn!
    ----------------------------

Dino,

WooooooPigSoooooieee
    WooooooPigSoooooieee
    WooooooPigSoooooieee....Razorbacks!!

Ever sit in Barnhill and hear 15,000 rabid Razorbacks screaming at the top of their lungs? Nothing like it!

Go...Hogs...Go?

You got that right!!
    ----------------------------

Danny,

Actually many of these 'colloquialisms' are fairly indicative of any southern state.

Of course that's true. I was feeling a little homesick, I guess. Like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home."

tj

• COMF
    COMF

Actually, some of this applies to Texas. Particularly the use of the word "fixin'". I dated a lady who lives in Arkansas, and she used to get the biggest kick out of me saying I was "fixin'" to do something. She would repeat it to or three times, with emphasis on "fixin'". Apparently it isn't a native Arkansas term at all.

COMF

• Andee
    Andee

Both my Grandparents (now passed) were from Arkansas. My grandmother was raised literally in a wood cabin.

I remember when I was a small child, my great-grandmother coming from Arkansas to visit my grandparents. I still remember the bonnet she wore. I mean, a bonnet literally right out of the pioneer days with the long bill and tied underneith her chin. She was very thin and frail, and had to be in a wheelchair. Of course, there was a big fuss made over her.

So, later, she was put into my grandparents bedroom so she could be comfortable. From my grandparents bed, she sat up straight in the middle, bonnet on head, pillows to prop her up, holding court waiting to "receive" family. When there was nobody in the room, I remember peeking around the doorway to get a glimpse of her. What I saw, horrified me! She leans over the edge of the bed and spits out the most disgusting brown "goo" from her mouth into a huge bowl. It seemed to stretch out from her mouth. I was in complete shock! I think I was around 6 years old. I remember thinking to myself "This lady is terribly sick!" I was terrified to to get near her.

So, I held the belief that she was in the grips of some terrible disease for most of my life. A few years ago, I relayed this story to my Mom. I had never told anyone. What she told me, still makes me laugh. She said "Andee! That old woman wasn't sick! She chewed tobacco. She was just spitting out the juice!"

And my Grandmother, her daughter, hated wearing shoes! She stayed home most of the time and I can remember that she wore shoes only twice in the whole time I knew her (she died when I was in the late 20's). Once when we went to a flea market and the other at my Grandfather's funeral service. She was one tough old bird!

Andee
    Who is proud of her hillbilly ancestry.

• teejay
    teejay

Andee,

I'm disappointed in your post I must say. I mean... you're giving folks the wrong impression about the good people of Arkansas with those stories (surely made up) of tobacco chewin' women with a hatred for shoes -- surely an aberration!!

Actually, there was a sister in the congregation where I grew up that chewed tobacco -- one of the old-timers. The elders HAD to know -- hell, I was in my early teens when I finally figured it out so the older folks knew too, I'm sure. They never said anything to her, though. Never saw her spit, I guess, but it was hard to miss that goo rolling around in her mouth and the occasional spittle at the corners of her mouth.

One gross habit, especially in a woman. I like my women tobacco free. There oughta be a law.

• waiting
    waiting

y'al git outta here.........

I could have sworn that tj was talking about S. Carolinians! However, instead of razorbacks, we have gamecocks. Ever hear 15,000 (mostly drunk) football fans shout "GO COCKS!". Amazing.

And we can spot a yankee from yonder in a skinny minute. And we can tell anybody from Atlanta too - talks too damned fast. And we're not waving all the time during the humid summers which last from March till November - we're just moving the damned gnats from around our face. We don't actually swat at them for it's a fact - fast lil' buggers. And we have Great Respect for Fire Ants. Spend hundreds of dollars each summer trying to kill 'em. It doesn't work, we know it, but we still do it.

Double negatives are accepted by most as ok speech down here. As in, "It don't make no difference what you say - ain't no way I'm gonna visit yer momma!"

Of course, we CAN use proper language....but it is a challenge.

waiting - joking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit