When will there be a major expose' of the WTBTS on W-5, CNN or?

by Japster 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JeffT
    JeffT

And there are some topics that are just forbidden. Religion seems to be one of them.

Not when they're talking about Christian republicans or Muslim terrorists. JW's don't seem to be a threat to anybody but themselves.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

As small fry as JWs may be in the grand scheme of things, National Geographic made a documentary about Michael Travasser (re: cults); now THATS small fry (I'd never heard of him and his followers before the special). Also, a documentary has been done on the Mormons; so is it really so far fetched that a legitimate (honest an straigthforward) documentary on the JWs would be of some interest to many besides ex-JWs and others affected by them?

I'd like to see something akin to the Mormon special done on them. JWs after all , are truly an American born religious group that has played a bit role in our culture. A nice documentary over a few episodes covering origins and the early years, the rutherford to ~1960 years, the 1960 thru 75 to 1980 uphevals, and then a 1980 to current. Episodes could be created to cover some of the most pertinent of areas (along with the pertinent history of the topic), giving both the JW reasoning and justification for stance and the critics view points, each giving their evidence; such episodes could include Blood (and other medical practices), the door to door ministry and outreach via publications, discipline with the church (i.e, shunning, disfellowshiping), freedom of thought/speech within the church community and other legal isses (esp providing the background of JWs in court assessing 1st amendment rights and literature asking others to question their religion and pedophilia issues), importance of dates in the Christian tradition (reviewing the history of items like 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975, discussion of biblical chronology and the differences between JWs and mainstream Christian thought), the social impact JWs have had in the public and in private families.

The WTBTS would of course be invited to speak for themselves and answer their critics. Invite fringe JW "scholars" to partcipate. They would also be allowed to defend and answer for their own literature, practices and policies past and present. If they will not participate, their own literature, of course, would have to suffice. Critics (and others who may present the JW material) would not be allowed to be rudely judegmental, overly zealous and fanatical while presenting counter thought/evidence and discussion of problems/differences; straightforward, honest presentation and discussion of the material is what would be needed.

Seems like there is really a lot of good material for a nice in depth documentary; "American Experience: Jehovah's Witnesses"

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

They already did a special on JWs. It is titled "Knocking". It is a biased viewpoint.

I think we can expect the media to go with whoever butters their bread.

I do not believe there is much truth or integrity left in the media.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit