...Jehovah`s Witness Kids don`t miss Celebrating Birthdays,Christmas..ect..ect!!....

by OUTLAW 143 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I didn't miss the materialism of the holidays, especially birthdays and Xmas. Not getting presents wasn't that big of a deal. My parents usually did make up for it through other ways. I wasn't greedy...I seemed to appreciate what they could do and understood when they couldn't afford to.

There was one holiday that I did like and hated missing out on. I loved Halloween. The movies, the decorations, the candy, the whole spooky event was great...and I didn't get to enjoy it. I'd sit in the window and watch all the kids in their costumes walking up and down the street having fun and I was stuck inside with all the lights off to discourage them from coming to our house. When I got older, we started going to the movies on that night, unless it was a meeting night...which was even worse. Having to dress up in a suit on Halloween...oh the irony of it all...

Looking back I realize another thing that made me hate the holidays...the purposeful standing out in a crowd. Jews or other non-Christians would say "thank you" or even reply back with a "Merry Xmas" or "Happy Holidays" even if they themselves didn't celebrate. But not us. Noooo....we had to make an issue of it. "Oh, I don't celebrate Xmas...blah blah blah..." and try to use it as an inroad to witnessing to someone. I remember being encouraged early on to always say "I don't celebrate Xmas" whenever someone wished my a Merry one. No, it wasn't cool to just be polite and say "thank you". I even got in trouble for trying to skirt it by saying, "You too..."

We couldn't just be quiet and let people enjoy their holidays. We had to find a way to bash their beliefs. Whether it was the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, or enjoying turkey on Thanksgiving, it was the oppurtunity to drag their customs through the mud and try to establish ourselves as so much better than the rest of the world.

• loosie
    loosie

My brother was df'd when I was 5. Well years later when I was going to be turning 10 in november, my brother called me, he was 26 at this point. he asked me what toys I wanted. I rattled off a list to him. He showed up with everything on the list the week of my birthday. He always had a way of making me feel special. Then I saw the look on my mom's face and I felt guilty. But I did get to kepp them all.

I remember he got me the the barbie head hair styler. I made good use of her.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Need to bump the page to read "Undercover" and "loosies" comment........................................OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Undercover..Your right..We stuck out like a sore thumb at holidays..I was forced to answer the door at halloween......"We don`t Celebrate Halloween,but you can come back any other time and ask for candy"..............Some of the kids did.....They still did`nt get any candy!!..LOL!!

Loosie..Love your story..

...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit