Did The Witnesses Predict the United Nations in Advance?

by TD 52 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    The UN was set up in January 1942 and was in the news so the WTS did not predict it or prophesy it....merely reported secular news.
  • ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

... so how is predicting the United Nations in 1942 or 1 in any way prescient ???

Watchtower believes the scarlet-colored wild beast from Revelation is the League of Nations/United Nations. Rev 17:8 describes this beast as existing, then not existing, then existing again. Watchtower interprets this to mean the League of Nations came into existence after WWI, then went out of existence before WWII at some point, then came back as the United Nations after WWII, thus fitting the Revelation description that "the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present."

Based on their understanding of this scripture Watchtower was predicting the return of the League (or pretending to), which became known as the UN, thus they were guided by God's Word and His spirit to accurately make the prediction, or so they claim.

(Rev 17:8):  The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction. And when they see how the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present, those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the founding of the world.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Bookmarked. Great research here.

Eden

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Thanks for bumping this. I was thinking of this recently also.

Bobcat

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Thanks Scenic viewer I didn't know about the " was, is not, will be" bit that WT spoke about. However it's rubbish because the league never went out of business... It just altered its name, the charter on which it was based remained the same. It's essence remained continuously the same...they are being pedantic to say otherwise. Absurd.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I remember this assertion, and appreciate TJ's research here as I do elsewhere. Its fairly basic even.

what amazes me most, is that these assertions are easily dispelled with just some basic research, yet they STILL put it out there. Is it arrogance, or are they just dumb? I see no other possibility.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Is it arrogance, or are they just dumb? (Problematic2)

Watchtower seems to have plenty of both, but I think they are more arrogant than anything.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    JR did serve Adolf Hitler with a letter making him know that (to paraphrase the letter) "your goose is cooked and so is your Third Reich's" It appears to me that in this case Jehovah made the word of his servant come true. -Isaiah 44:26
  • Lieu
    Lieu

"Millions now living will never die" - Wrong

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"J.F.+Rutherford"

• Lieu
    Lieu

Those archives still work.

Fred Franz 1975 prophetic date address:

https://archive.org/details/WhatIsTheSignficanceOf1975

Share this

Google+
Pinterest