Did The Witnesses Predict the United Nations in Advance?

by TD 52 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

yeah bookmarked too! Very good stuff indeed!

• JWoods
    JWoods

Most witnesses also probably still think that Russell and the WT "predicted WW1", which they claimed as total vindication of their updated chronology for the coming of Christ.

They predicted nothing of the sort, it was just convenient that the WW1 cover story happened along when it did.

I have often wondered if all the chronology they teach would have survived and grown had it not been for that unfortunate coincedance.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well thanks to some great research here, we have yet another re-writing of history. I'm sure the brothers groaned when it became obvious the Vatican was not going to be running things behind the scenes in a tolitarion world government while they ban those pesky little JW's. Probably the only group that was sad to see the fighting stop

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Related question: Has the WT organization EVER predicted ANYTHING correctly?

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

This is an excellent, but underappreciated thread. Glad I caught it on the second time around.

As a young JW, this piece of WT history was very faith-strengthening to me. But I also knew about some of the failures and wrong expectations. of the WTS. And somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I had a hard time reconciling the fact that we should use this WWII/UN experience as a proof that the WTS is used by God, but we should not use the Society's failed expectations as a proof that the WTS is not used by God. It seemed like a double standard.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is a discussion on this at http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/115266/1/Witnesses-cannot-refute-the-real-TRUTH which has some great research by Blondie showing that the UN was formed prior to Knorr's prediction.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Knorr's lecture "Peace -- Can It Last?" and a PDF of the booklet for that talk can be listened to and downloaded from:

http://www.archive.org/details/PeaceCanItLastByNathanKnorr

Might be good to share with some JWs to see what really happened back in 1942.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

BTW I have a copy of "Peace, Can It Last"

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

BUMP

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

thinking back to when I was told about this so called prophecy by knorr when I was studying I think they said he also said there would be a period of peace so the preaching work could proceed to cover the earth.

Is my memory right on that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit