If The Organization Wants U 2 B Financially Insecure How Does It Help Them???

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses are trying to blah-ify people's lives. Keep them just above the poverty level, keep them undereducated--and you will do just that. Of course, it will not work if people do not have the money--I have, however, seen people that were not meeting their own expenses regularly dumping $20 bills into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund like it was nothing.

Rather, it would make more sense for themselves if they would start creating value for members. True, you will still have the freeloaders. But a high percentage of people will donate for value received, without being hounded incessantly. And, if they start creating value for the world, they might start getting some respect (and stop having to waste money on lawyers to defend pedophiles and to lie in court to fight child custody battles). If they create value for children, they would want to remain in it when they get older, and they would want to stay in in the event of a divorce. And they would stop having to waste time and resources trying to keep them away from worldly associates (if they truly created value, and they did associate with worldly people, it would be the worldly people trying to get in rather than the witless seeking out, all without any witlessing activity).

• Heaven
    Heaven

Here's my take on this... ahem...

"Armageddon is 'imminent' so you don't need to be financially secure. Just make sure you have a shovel available to start the cleanup. "

They really don't seem to look beyond this. It is quite 'stumbling', imo.

• minimus
    minimus

I recognize the Org. is all about control but realistically, if people have no money to donate, the Org. has to suffer. This is a corporation, a business.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Min

Go back and read what Scully just posted.

I'm going to add something to that.

The WTS depends on all those $10. And believe me they add up. Let's say 1,000,000 JW donate $10 once a year. $10,000,000

If they donate $10 twice a year $20,000,000

Don't be fooled into think those $10 don't add up. All those $10 will far surpass the $1000 dollars that richer people will donate every bow and then. And people are more likely to be giving their $10 at least once a month. Wanna do the math?

$10 x 12 = $120 $120 x 1,000,000 = 120,000,000

Deduct expences and I suspect they have a pretty tidy bankroll stashed away somewhere all based on $10 a month

Remember. The WTS went through the Great Depression and I bet they didn't do too badly. In fact Rutherford seemed to do quite well.

• minimus
    minimus

TV preachers understand this $$$ principle.

• yknot
    yknot

Min,

The Org is suffering financially compared to years past.

Estates aren't worth as much and donations are down (some due to economics other over protest)

Education swings back and forth I remember in the early 90's when I went college for the first time I was damn near crucified by the PO even though I was in full meeting attendance and turning in 20 hours per month while living with hosting JWs! But fast forward to mid-late 90's and associate degrees are great, even some bachelors that were directly benefiting bethel were awesome...... but Lloyd dropped dead and Ted voice began to heeded more and more......

I also want to remind you that there are levels in the WTS so while the majority at the base of the WTS pyramid are pushed to poverty those atop of them rarely if ever applied such foolishness as their larger donations had COs delivering a softer sell of WTS spin. All of my peers from my first KH went to college and on to cushy bethel positions, most with no or all faked service.

Education is a flip flop issue.

• minimus
    minimus

When more KH's close, when less $$$ is available to pay the mortgages, utilities and upkeep of the Halls, when more people get laid off from decent jobs and they can only scrape by in paying their rent and they have to resort to canned foods----I think you'll see that control will not be the overriding issue. The Society has demonstrated that they will not financially support even their own so they'll never help scores of people with no money. Without money, you can't progress, you can't live. Besides, I think a lot of Witnesses will break with the WT. when it comes to making THEIR ends meet. They recognize the Society will not pay their bills. I think eventually, the Society will ONCE AGAIN back off from censuring some advanced schooling. It is to their detriment if they don't.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I agree with Lady Lee and Scully. It doesn't take a whole lot per publisher per month to add up to a tidy sum.

I came from a very "working class" congregation. But it wasn't all janitors and window cleaners. There were a few welders. They lived in a trailer park, and never took vacations or did much to spend money, and they managed to make fairly decent donations every month. My mom and sisters live in an apartment that is about the size of my kitchen and living room put together (and it isn't like I have a big house), and I know that my mom was putting in at least $100 per month years ago when I was in. We had an older couple who died, and they acutally owned a house, because they bought in the 1940's, and they donated the proceeds of their house and what little they had to the Society, and it was talked about for years, because it came to just over $100K. Their daughter was married to a heavy machine worker, who died in an accident at work due to the fault of the company. She received a multi-million dollar settlement and was quite conspicuous about the large amounts of money she donated, and made a big deal in telling everyone about how she donated the money from the proceeds of the sale of her house (which they weren't able to afford until she got her millions) to the Org. when she decided to move to Mexico. And then you had the granparents of my best friend growing up. They lived in the trailer park with about 1/2 the other JW's in the hall. He wore thrift-store suits and they struggled along. His wife had mental problems, and saw a psych -iatrist or -ologist, not sure which, and ended up leaving her husband for the psych. She got DF'd but eventually left the psych, repented, and got back together with her former husband. She ended up getting a windfall from the psych after suing him for improper conduct, and now the entire family lives in a compound and still wears thrift-store suits, and donates a large amount of money each month, I'm guessing out of guilt and to erase her reputation. And then you have the majority of the poor, who always managed to put something in the box every month.

That was in a very lower class congregation. I'm betting most congs. have several odd circumstanses where people have a fair amount of money (at least by JW standards) and one or two people who have semi-decent paying jobs who contribute decent sums, if nothing else for the prestige it gives them. You know even if they don't tell others what they do, the story of how much money they give will get around. And we all know that while they encourage their followers to stay out of evil places like the stock market, that the society doesn't take their own advice in that regard. And as has been said before, they don't have huge outputs in paying people for their labor or do anything in regards to charity work as most religions do.

I totally agree it is a control method, too. How many financially well to do or well-educated people join? (I guess unless you count Brother Prince. How much do you think Brother Prince donates a year? I bet he gives up a decent chunk of change.) You will far easier keep, recruit, and retain the downtrodden than the people with an education, sense of purpose, a decent self-esteem or otherwise fortuitious circumstances. The Org. has been able to keep itself going for upwards of 130 years on the backs of people like this, in a fairly comfortable manner. I think that especially in these financial circumstances, donations might well be down, but I bet the Society has a decent amount of money to live on for awhile. I'm betting that they're not dumb, but maybe a little set in their ways and comfortable with the fact they've managed to have a good existence in the past, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the future with them in this regard.

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

the jews paid tithes and jesus had the treasury chests arrangement, the WT would reemphasized the need to contribute when it runs out of money

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit