Watch Tower or Watchtower-Which is it? My blog on Freeminds

by AndersonsInfo 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I hope you don't think I'm blowing my own horn by posting this information about my latest blog. I spent a lot of time researching this subject and I think some of you folks might like to have this material in your files for future use. It was a tedious project, but I learned a lot. Hope you do too.

Barbara

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/musings-of-a-watchtower-insider/index.php

Watch Tower or Watchtower - Which Is It?

Ever wonder why the Watchtower (one word) is sometimes the Watch Tower (two words)? Does it matter? What are the legal ramifications? What does the Watchtower have in common with the Peoples Pulpit Association of New York ? The answers to these questions and more are thoughtfully presented from a historical perspective. The names under discussion are both written correctly and both are generally recognizable by the public as coupled with the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses. A viable elucidation of “Which is it, Watch Tower or Watchtower ?” is not simple because of historical twists and turns of the use of both names by the principals in charge of this religious movement throughout its one-hundred and thirty-year existence to date. To a perceptive affiliate, or to someone who has more than a casual acquaintance with the group, the words under discussion are part of corporate names, and each corporation is used by Jehovah’s Witnesses’ leadership to direct different aspects of their legal affairs. But that’s not the end of the matter. Both names are also linked with the well-known magazine, The Watchtower, distributed door-to-door by Jehovah’s Witnesses. To be precise, the way that journal’s name is written would depend upon the date of issue. Click on the link to read the rest of this blog.

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/musings-of-a-watchtower-insider/index.php

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Thanks Barbara... I am intrigued.

I am going to check it out!

Cheers,

The Oracle

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

GREAT Blog!

As a self proclaimed historian, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well researched piece.

Thanks for doing what you!

The Oracle

• suchafool
    suchafool

Thanks so much for that. I never understood when they would say "if your writing a check make it to Watch Tower two words. I now understand why.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "if your writing a check make it to Watch Tower two words. I now understand why.

They will cash either one, so who cares.

Fascinating read, Barbara. I will just be a dinosaur and keep typing "WTS" in comments when it may or may not be the best term.
    They can take their legal terms a bit too serious.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you for this post.

I am wondering just how many different corporate identities the WhackTower has.

How many DBA's are hidden under various umbrellas?

Under what new names are they hiding corporate stocks in medical and technology?

What programs have they funded that people are not aware of?

How have they joined with inter-faith movements behind the scenes?

How have they disguised their (continuing) association with the UN?

(from another story you wrote:) Did you ever find out who the old Hebrew guy was who came into the office that day? Did you ever see him again?

Do you think this was an important association? Has WT always been taking orders from someone else?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

OnTheWayOut: I agree with you. It's easier to write WTS. For what it's worth, though, JW leaders are endeavoring to put lots of distance between themselves and "Watch Tower Society" which is another fascinating topic and one I'll post on Freeminds in the near future.

cameo-d: I think you're referring to the essay I wrote about "The Given Ones" which is to be found on Freeminds. I posted the link below. The name of Fred Franz's friend, the supposedly Hebrew scholar, who came into Ciro's office, if I remember correctly, was Barry Horowitz. I'm not sure I have the last name spelled correctly. I really don't think Barry was important to the organization as a whole. I do think he was eccentric like Freddy was and they both enjoyed fellowshipping to discuss Hebrew history from the JW perspective. From what I've been told, Barry was not a very active JW even when Freddy was alive. He completely stopped coming to meetings about ten years ago. Barry would probably be in his mid 70s now if he's alive, lived in Queens County, NY. He's a jogger and ran in marathons. If anybody knows more about him, let us know.

http://www.freeminds.org/organization/governing-body/the-given-ones-jehovah-s-provision.ht ml

There are a number of corporate entities related to "WackTower" but they are really rather insignificant compared to the three I discussed in the essay. The others have to do with their farms, real estate in different areas, etc. I think there is a list somewhere on the Internet naming some of these corporations and their Bethel directors.

When we were suing the organization, our attorney located some businesses whose names had the word "Watchtower" in it such as Watchtower Enterprises, etc. but either they were not related or, when they were located, wouldn't accept the lawsuit papers claiming they had nothing to do with the religion.

In addition, I know that attorneys Love and Norris put forth lots of effort to find all corporate entities related to Watch Tower of PA, but in the long run, only the two--Watchtower of NY and Watch Tower of PA were relevant.

Barbara

• middleman
    middleman

book marked...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for the info!!!!

Looking forward to the next article.

purps

There is another name that Jehovah’s Witnesses frequently use in conversation and that is “the Society.” What do you know about “the Society”? Did you know that Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders are putting distance between themselves and this term? Stay tuned for an enlightening discussion in the near future when I will discuss this idiom which one specific leader of Jehovah’s Witnesses disconnected from being identified with the Watch Tower Society and the Watchtower Society.

• minimus
    minimus

I'd like to know more about the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit