Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Minimus:

I'm not saying people who are Catholics are vile horrible people. I think the religion clearly is not "The Truth".

I know that you are not directly condemning Catholics ... but as for truth, one needs to define what they mean by 'Truth.' To a Catholic, Jesus is the way, the Truth, and the life. To a JW, it is all about the organization ... many ex-JWs confuse Catholicism with having faith in an organization as the truth ... whereas Catholics have Jesus as the Truth, and also have the Church as a divine object as Jesus promised. The people ... that is another matter.

St.Ann: Sit in the Pew, and kneel on the kneeler! for 6 hours dressed in sack cloth as I whipped my back with a chain until I was bloody. Seriously, he watched me go into unintended tears ... and he spent the time consoling me and welcoming me home ... and immediately, without hesitation, gave me absolution ... and no Bible counsel ... only healing. It was Saturday, but he encouraged me to stay for the 4:30 Mass and take communion right away ... yep ... a much different environment than the JWs that act like they do a person a favor ... the Priest actually cares about the individual.

• mouthy
  • cluless
    cluless

Mouthy

The biggest brick in the wall of any building is the word "Truth" Or "Real Truth"

But isnt the internet the biggest building.

Arnt we the posters on this site the religouse leaders of todsay?

Cluless.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Speaking of kneelers....I got stuck Sunday. I'm in the choir and was squeezed in between two other sopranos. When it was time to stand up, I couldn't. I just started laughing (quietly) and tried to hide behind some Easter Lilies that were still up there by the ambo. My knees are getting old.

Amazing, you are funny! And, Amazing, you are right. For me and for the other Catholics I know, it's all about Jesus being the Way, the Truth, and the Life. If we went to church because of the example of individual Christians, we'd probably never darken the doors.

Fortunately for me, Jesus allows sinners into his Church. I've yet to meet any Christian who isn't a sinner.

Regarding tradition, which some have mentioned in this thread, most people don't think about how Jesus taught: he taught orally. When he gave the great commission for his disciples to preach the gospel to all of the Earth, he didn't give them a WT, Awake, or Bible to carry around with them. He taught them orally and they taught orally. Jesus didn't leave behind one written word. Thus, he gives credence to oral tradition being an acceptable method of teaching and passing down the truths of the faith. Eventually, these stories and traditions began to be written down. We as Catholics do not reject these teachings, or Holy Traditions, just because they are not in the canon of scripture. If it was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, many non-Catholic Christians today reject the way Jesus and the Early Christians taught and limit themselves to the Bible only. It's sad because they really miss out on a lot.

Did you know there are letters that were written to Mary after Jesus' death, after she had gone off to Ephesus with John? And there is at least one letter that she wrote in response? And that Mary Magdalen went with her? These things aren't in the Bible but they make fascinating reading, if you want to know what Jesus' followers did in the years after his death.

St. Ann

• Amazing
    Amazing

Mouthy ...

St. Ann ... Excellent post.

Regarding tradition, which some have mentioned in this thread, most people don't think about how Jesus taught: he taught orally. When he gave the great commission for his disciples to preach the gospel to all of the Earth, he didn't give them a WT, Awake, or Bible to carry around with them. He taught them orally and they taught orally. Jesus didn't leave behind one written word. Thus, he gives credence to oral tradition being an acceptable method of teaching and passing down the truths of the faith. Eventually, these stories and traditions began to be written down. We as Catholics do not reject these teachings, or Holy Traditions, just because they are not in the canon of scripture. If it was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, many non-Catholic Christians today reject the way Jesus and the Early Christians taught and limit themselves to the Bible only. It's sad because they really miss out on a lot.

The Apostles also spoke of this tradition as valid ... while they condemned the wrong traditions of the Jews, they extolled the traditions they handed down to Christians:

2 Thessalonians 3:6 "And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly, and not according to the tradition which they have received of us."

Yes, tradition can be, and is valid, if from the right source ... and your paragraph above hits the nail on the head.! - Thanks!

• StAnn
    StAnn

You know, I'm surprised that we haven't heard more from Reniaa on this thread. Just the word "no" is a big disappointment to me.

Okay, Reniaa, in case you're reading this thread, I've learned that everything the JWs taught me about the Catholic Church was a lie. Lie, lie, lie.

What do you have to say to that?

Come out and play, Reniaa!

St. Ann

• StAnn
    StAnn

Amazing, excellent post. We'll have to start a mutual admiration society!

People don't realize that to reject tradition is to reject Jesus.

St. Ann

• rebel8
    rebel8

I consider myself an ethnic Catholic. :D

The RC churches around here are definitely not the most cultic of the religions I'm personally familiar with. They are the least totalitarian and controlling, and make a point to say theirs is not the exclusive ticket to Heaven.

You can do anything you want and there are no sanctions on your membership status. Hell, I was confirmed as an adult with my atheism out in the open. They are very liberal.

That is in stark contrast to the fundamentalist types around here. As a kid we were in one of those groups right before we joined the borg. They are extremely controlling.

Rituals don't make something a cult: http://www.factnet.org/rancho5.htm

The rituals in the ancient RC church were put in place (in many cases) because of lack of microphones and illiteracy. They could not shout loud enough for the masses to hear, so they did things that would be easily visible from a far distance (colored smoke during Pope elections, incense, bells, etc.) Now it's just a tradition like toasting or singing Xmas carols.

Mouthy, I hope I'm misinterpreting your post. It sounds like you are saying practicing the RC religion is vomit-worthy. I hope you're not saying that while at the same time expecting others to respect your religious practice.

I find all religion distasteful to varying degrees, but I would never vomit on yours.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Well, Chalam, my priest is devoted to Mary and I ask for the intercession of the Saints, too. We've got it all, the gifts of the holy spirit AND the communion of saints. Lucky us!

St. Ann

Hi,

Is is one thing to intercede for the saint and another thing to pray to them. They can't do jack, neither can Mary. Only Jesus can sort it, pray to Him.

John 15:5 (New International Version)

5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

John 14:14 (New International Version)

14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

All the best,

Stephen

• StAnn
    StAnn

Chalam, what we mean when we talk about "intecession" of the saints is that we believe that life continues after death and that the saints are in heaven with Jesus. We ask them to pray for us to Jesus, adding their prayers to ours. It's no different than asking someone here on Earth to pray for us when we need it. It's just that we believe that the family of Christians includes those who have died as well as those who are alive now. The ones who have died and gone to heaven are in Jesus' presence, so we ask them to intercede for us, since they're right there. And since Mary is Jesus' mother, we figure that he'll listen to her most quickly of all! So we ask Mary to pray for us and to ask Jesus to assist us, along with our own prayers.

It really isn't any different than someone coming onto this board, which is peopled with folks most of us haven't met, telling them of a particular problem and asking them to pray for us. We don't know them personally, have never seen them, but know that the ones who will pray on our behalf are people of faith. We're trying to storm the citadel with prayers, so to speak. Catholics just don't want to exclude Christians who have died and gone on to their reward in heaven.

St. Ann

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit