Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Okay, I am sincerely enjoying this thread.

I was raised JW and absolutely scared to death of anything Catholic. Wouldn't even step inside a historical old California mission for fear I'd get the struck by lightening.

However, the last two times to France, I was drawn to Notre Dame, had to go every day. Visited other cathedrals as well. Can't explain what was going on. Then the Christmas before last, on a whim, I went to a small Catholic church for Xmas mass, just for the hell of it. When I left JW, this little community church always looked so inviting as I would go by on my daily walks early in the morning. Any hoo, the mass was lovely, the people were lovely, the service was lovely.

I would like to know from you kind RCC's how do you reconcile the worship of images? And also the bowing and worship of the priests etc. I am sincere in my question, not debating or arguing.

TIA

Dag

• minimus
    minimus

And kissing crosses, pictures of saints, having medals and tapwater blessed?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I would like to know from you kind RCC's how do you reconcile the worship of images? And also the bowing and worship of the priests etc.

To put it very simply, we don't worship images. We don't worship priests either.

And kissing crosses, pictures of saints, having medals and tapwater blessed?

Physical things can contain spiritual things. This is one thing that I like about Catholicism, it acknowledges our physicality as human beings and in the physical world.

BTS

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy, I hope I'm misinterpreting your post. It sounds like you are saying practicing the RC religion is vomit-worthy. I hope you're not saying that while at the same time expecting others to respect your religious practice.

I find all religion distasteful to varying degrees, but I would never vomit on yours.

I do NOT have ANY religion girl.. NONE at all I have been hurt by so many!!!!

I prefer to think I have a relationship .Sorry to offend as religous talks tend to do....

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Semantics, mouthy.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Dagney and Minimus,

BTS stated it very well ... with respect to worship and the like, I have never worshiped a Saint or Priest or image, and never will.

As for tap water ... Jesus turned ordinary water into wine ... would you not have called it blessed? Why cannot God, through a Priest, bless ordinary water? Cannot God do that is he so chooses?

• Dagney
    Dagney

"To put it very simply, we don't worship images. We don't worship priests either."

Burns,

Then what is it?

Again, I'm not arguing, I really want to understand what seems to me a huge conflict. I never had the opportunity before to ask before, at least ask ones who share the history we all have had.

If anything I know now is there is a hell of a lot I don't know. So I respect everyone and their beliefs and journeys.

TIA

• minimus
    minimus

I feel bad for Saint Christopher. He was downgraded from "saint" to simply being a "legend". Still, many devout Catholics refuse to accepte that revised Status and still believe he could protect them. Some would never go without their St. Christopher medal. So sad to see their blind faith.

• minimus
    minimus

From a biblical view, God or Jesus could do anything. Mere man, even sinner priests are not God.

• Amazing
    Amazing
    I do NOT have ANY religion girl.. NONE at all I have been hurt by so many!!!! ... I prefer to think I have a relationship .Sorry to offend as religous talks tend to do....

Only atheists stand a chance of saying that they do not have a religion ... if you believe in Jesus, as you said you did ... even if you are the head of your private 'relationship' standard as you call it ... you have a religion. No one is offended ... you are certainly entitled to it ... and no one judges you. Some of us simply have chosen to walk a different road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit