Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

"God has no religion." -Mahatma Gandhi

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The Catholic Church is the oldest Christian religion out there. That gives it a certain amount of clout whether you like the traditions that go with it or not.

It has endured for 2,000 years and it's teachings have remained generally the same.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Chalam, my priest is one of those charismatic Catholic priests. We also have a charismatic prayer group that meets weekly for intercessory prayer.

That is cool! Gifts and fruit of Jesus' Spirit wins over praying to Mary and "saints" all day long :)

See you in glory :)

All the best,

Stephen

• StAnn
    StAnn

Well, Chalam, my priest is devoted to Mary and I ask for the intercession of the Saints, too. We've got it all, the gifts of the holy spirit AND the communion of saints. Lucky us!

St. Ann

• reniaa
    reniaa

No!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I swam the Tiber 2009! I received baptism not even 2 weeks ago.

I love my new life in Christ and my new home in the Church.

BTS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No, the Catholics do not teach the truth. Fact is, they can be no more truthful than what they chose to put in the Bible itself--and the Bible itself lies. Therefore, if they teach what is in the Unholy Bible, they are not teaching the truth.

I must, however, say that it is far less damaging to be a Catholic than one of Jehovah's Witlesses. First, when is the last time you have seen children getting dragged out all the time going door to door promoting the Catholic church? I have never seen that. Nor are they singled out because they cannot do holidays or birthdays, they are not so strict on music as the witlesses are, and they occasionally have festivals instead of regular churches (plus, if you miss a church because you are on a vacation, they are not going to hound you endlessly).

• Room 215
    Room 215

I must admit that I find the mumbo-jumbo, incense waving, bishops mitres and vestments, etc. offputting; but the Church to my mind has many redeeming qualities, especially in the realms of charity, hospitals, schools, etc.

• middleman
    middleman

The RCC is as much a sham as the WBTS is. One poster on here said "Catholics do not place as much emphasis on the Bible as they do history and tradition ... that is why they preserved the rituals they have (as do the Orthodox) for the last 2,000 years". That's sad but actually true, much of my family are Catholic as well as my girlfriend's family. I see this mentality as the norm. In reality the RCC tradition is similar to the various doctrines of the WBTS, in the sense that many teachings are not verifable by the Bible, but by a council (from the clergy) or publication. As long as "we say so" who cares if it's in the Bible or not, so the thought goes for many. With tradition it's voted what's of God and hey we have a new truth for evermore...where do we stop...ya don't nor do they. To oppose the "mother" would be to oppose God, don't dare challenge her even if you have "proof" of lies/false teachings. It's really no surprise that Catholics often convert to the WBTS and visa versa...change a few doctrines/names, but the structure is virtually the same.

That's my 2 pennies worth...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Your comments are reasonable, except that the mainline Churches do not accuse all others as being "corrupt."

I am sorry for not speaking clearly, but I didn't intend to claim this was an official position of the RCC. But you can't get around the fact that each sect thinks they have the complete truth, and other sects/religions don't quite have it right. Don't you agree?

I agree that some Christian sects believe that others outside their own sect will be saved; a vast difference from fundies to be sure.

My personal experience is that some Catholics view Protestants in a very negative light. Perhaps that's only the Irish Catholics. ;) But seriously, how can Catholics not view Lutherans (for example) with at least some level of disapproval? They did break away from the Catholic church, afterall, because they perceived it as being at least somewhat corrupt. (And again, I'm sure not all Catholics view Lutherans like that. There are probably many that don't even think about it and it isn't an issue to them.)

My point in saying this is not to bash the Catholic church. I actually admire it in some ways as a religion. Unlike the fundies, the RCC isn't as afraid of science (including Evolution), although it may take them a little while to come around (ie, Galileo).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit