Any Suggestions For An Out of Control Teen Into Sex, Drugs & Alcohol?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know of a 15 year old boy who is sliding deeper into substance abuse and everyone around him seems powerless to stop him from his self destructive behavior. His parents are divorced, his father barely sees his son, his mother supports her 2 kids in the best way that she can but cannot control her son at all. He smokes weed every day, been in trouble regularly with the law, is now selling prescription meds that he steals from family members---basically, he's either going to be dead or in jail if he doesn't get serious help.

Any suggestions???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The teen sounds like me when I was younger. In my case my family was toxic. My drug using, criminal minded friends became my family. They came from similar homes, and we understood each other. My parents could not get through to me, and no wonder. All they did my entire life was create a home that was a battlefield, and trash everything I ever set out to do. I cannot obey someone who is incapable of earning my respect.

I don't know the teen's background, but if it's anything like mine it's a long, hard journey.

W

• minimus
    minimus

So how did you get better?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I really hate to say it minimus. I joined the JWs. That opened a whole new can of worms.

On a positive note, at least I'm still alive.

W

• minimus
    minimus

I figured.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Sometimes you have to lose absolutely everything before you'll realize you need to make changes. That's what had to happen for me to get sober.

You have to WANT to change.

• JeffT
    JeffT

If I could figure it out, I'd do something with my 33 year old son. As a start I'd recommend Alanon. It it is a very good support group for the people around an alcoholic/addict.

• minimus
    minimus

The boy's next door neighbor was put in a rehab for 1 year that he cannot get out of! It costs the parents $4ooo per mth!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    You have to WANT to change.

That sums it up. I had screwed myself up with booze and drugs, spent time in jail for a crime I didn't commit, was unemployed, and was the target in a drive by shooting. I realized I needed a drastic change or I might not live to see 30.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Did Rocco help you out? (I love that bird).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit