Debunking the "great crowd" of "other sheep" concept - new video

by Awakened at Gilead 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Good video but in one important area I find it a bit lacking. In discussing the "great crowd of other sheep" I believe the grander point to be made is that the teaching is mainly a product of Watchtower history. Rather than see the teaching as simply a 'misinterpretation" it can eaisly be shown that the doctrine was heavily built around events during the 1920's. This approach is more directed towards breaking up the myth present in JWs minds that their doctirines come from "unbiased" bible study where individuals sit around and "let the Bible speak for itself".

I was fuzzy on this history myself and so I started a topic a while back where some interesting discussion opened this up:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/173226/1/motivations-for-creating-the-Jonadabs

I think my opinion is that rather than seeing the "other sheep" doctrine as either a "right or wrong" bible interpretation I see it as the product of a very biased and subjective experience. A person can take that wherever it leads them I suppose, but the facts remain that it's all subjective and in no way is "unbiased". In essence, the history of many Watchtower doctrines are rooted in historical events and not divine revelation. I don't quite believe that such a fact in itself is an attack on JWs (arn't all religions the product of some historical events?) but they sure will take it that way.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The tail wagging the dog, eh, Drew?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Great video. Rev 19:1 is a fantastic scripture.

As Drew says, when all of this is seen in the context of the motivation for creating the earthly class back in the 1930's, it shows just how self-serving JW doctrine is.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I see the Great Crowd doctrine as a very good marketing ploy by Rutherford. How better to grow an organisation than say you must belong to it to be saved. Prior to 1935 the Watchtower said all JWs go to heaven, the good as the 144000 kings, the not so good as the "heavenly" great crowd. The millions that will never die for 1925 were non JWs (more accurately Bible Students at the time) that got to live on earth. So there was no great incentive to join the Watchtower movement. Then in 1935, Rutherford started to say the only way you could be saved was to be a JW, either as the now "earthly" Great Crowd or heavenly 144000.

Lance I have embedded your video at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/greatcrowd.htm

• oompa
    oompa

i loved it lance.......my fave so far......oompa

1935 would have been a big prophecy date if it meant shit............i have posted about that recently........

• flipper
    flipper

LANCE- Well done my friend ! Good u-tube ! It really spells it out quite plainly that the WT society is CONSTANTLY changing their views on many of their beliefs. If they can't decide what their beliefs are ; how can their rank and file members ? LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• V
    V

"Apparently so" <- great one liner!

Great video.

• watson
    watson
    Even so, I get accused of being haughty and turning my back on God on all of my videos by overzealous JWs... LOL... but thanks for the comment!

Sorry to say Lance, that as long as you have the beard, and sound confident, this will continue to happen. Impression formed immediately by any JWs happening by.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Awakened at Gilead:

Enjoyed the video very much! Excellent job!

N.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

jwfacts: thanks for posting the vid... I have returned the favor by adding a link to your website on my YouTube homepage. Hopefully we'll get some cross traffic...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit