Is rejecting supernatural explanations close-minded?

by inkling 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Spook
    Spook

Though I'm a skeptic and an atheist I have to admit I do wish the universe were in some way more interesting. I've always liked science fiction and the supernatural.

I won't blather about philosophy, but it is hard to even define what evidence for a supernatural occurance would even mean. I do have one Phd philosopher friend who insists the evidence for near death experiences is strong evidence for the super natural after a great deal of research into the subject - making me want to consider some of it. However - he was also unable to see through John Edwards the T.V. psychic, so I'm in no hurry. ;)

• Warlock
    Warlock

My point is, and has been, to the skeptics:

YOU WERE NOT THERE.

YOU DID NOT SEE THE DANCING LIGHT COME INTO THE ROOM.

YOU DID NOT HEAR THE GROWLING.

YOU DID NOT HEAR THE DOOR SLAMING ON A WINDLESS DAY.

YOU DID NOT HAVE THE OCCASIONAL PART TIME HELP WHIP THEIR HEAD AROUND SAYING "DID YOU CALL ME? YES YOU DID! I HEARD YOU!".

ANYWAY, I'M DONE HERE.

Warlock

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Excellent video on anecdotes. This guy's Youtube videos are awesome. Thanks for sharing them, inkling!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I used to work in an office that was haunted, and the toilet seat would go down by itself.

So, explain that.

Impossible for us to explain it with any certainty since we weren't there, although we could make some reasonable guesses. But I guess you missed the point in the first video. (Did you even watch it?) Not being able to explain something does not mean you can then automatically explain it as a ghost or some other supernatural cause.

BTW, my guess at the toilet seat is that it is not stable in the open position, and a vibration or something knocked it back down. I have seen toilet seats like this..they won't stay up unless you're holding it.

If it were me, I would have investigated this a bit more to figure out what was going on.

• inkling
    inkling
    My point is, and has been, to the skeptics:
    YOU WERE NOT THERE.
    YOU DID NOT SEE THE DANCING LIGHT COME INTO THE ROOM.

It's so odd that we are both making the same point, and yet we still are miles apart.

I was not there. That is precisely the point.
    If I WAS there, then we could have a conversation about what happened,
    because we could ask questions and confirm details and explore other
    possibilities that time and memory have edited out.

As it stands, that information is lost. Therefore, that you are convinced
    I fully understand, and I am not telling you what happened. You were
    the only one of us that were a witness to the event. I don't have a leg
    to stand on if I were attempting to prove your story false.

However, due the the reasons already stated, these exact same things
    also mean that it is absurd to expect your story to convince me.

If something as weird happened to me, I very likely would be as freaked
    out and impressed as the next guy, but I would not expect anyone to
    believe
    my interpretation of the event UNLESS I had evidence to back it
    up.

ANYWAY, I'M DONE HERE.

Can't say that I blame you.I can imagine it must be extremly frustrating
    to be faced with the brute fact of people shrugging of an event that
    so impressed you. It must seem heartless and condesending.

But what am I suppose to do when so many times in the past when I
    HAVE investigated such claims, they turn up having non-magical causes
    that were overlooked at the time?

[inkling]

• inkling
    inkling
    If it were me, I would have investigated this a bit more to figure out what was going on.

Exactly.

Like the video said, show a little bit of curiosity and open mindedness.

[inkling]

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I posted the first video on my facebook page. A religious coworker replied that it was a "straw man" argument. I asked him "how so?" and he replied:

I'll take it a step further, not only does he misrepresent opposing thought, but he is actually demonstrating the very thing he's against. Closedmindedness. Ultimately what he he is saying is that anyone who questions the way he thinks is just plain foolish. Have a blessed day. :-)

Wow.

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

VM44 - How funny. it has been proven that anyone can walk on hot coals with a little coaching beforehand. It has to do with how little of the foot actually come in contact with the coals. If one runs on the coals, the contact is harder and more surface meets the coals which accounts for the burns. But if one simply walks at a normal gait, the sensation is warm and there will be no injury.

Mary

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    It has to do with how little of the foot actually come in contact with the coals.

More precisely your foot comes in contact with the ash that builds up over the coals. The ash itself is a poor conductor of heat; you only get burned if you linger a bit too long.

Crazy how they blamed it on demons. haha

• Open mind
    Open mind

Excellent video inkling!

Saving it for possible future use.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit