What is the most damning scripture in the Bible?

by viva 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bob1999
    bob1999

Not to start an argument but just to set the record straight, it's "Thou shalt not murder".

Peace

• inkling
    inkling
    Not to start an argument but just to set the record straight, it's "Thou shalt not murder".

Right, becuase killing apostate pagan babies is killing, but isn't murder.

Also about half the Bible translations commonly available (including KJ and ASV) have "kill", not "murder"

[inkling]

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

To me the most puzzling accepting the bible to be true in every word ! was, Math.12 v 31 on this account I say to you, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the holy spirit will not be forgiven.

In 30 years I could never understand how you can sin against the "Holy Spirit".

Yet your life depends upon you knowing, you must not do this.

KT

• boyzone
    boyzone

Luke 21 v 8

"Those that say the due time has approached, do not go after them".

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The endorsement for Israelite warriors to kill all the pagans, including babies, but keep the virgins, a booty of 32,000, for themselves.

Numbers 31

15 So Moses said to them: “Have YOU preserved alive every female? 16 Look! They are the ones who, by Ba´laam’s word, served to induce the sons of Israel to commit unfaithfulness toward Jehovah over the affair of Pe´or, so that the scourge came upon the assembly of Jehovah. 17 And now kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has had intercourse with man by lying with a male. 18 And preserve alive for yourselves all the little ones among the women who have not known the act of lying with a male. 19 As for YOU yourselves, camp outside the camp seven days. Everyone who has killed a soul and everyone who has touched someone slain, YOU should purify yourselves on the third day and on the seventh day, YOU and YOUR captives. 20 And every garment and every article of skin and everything made of goat’s hair and every article of wood YOU should purify for yourselves from sin.”

21 El·e·a´zar the priest then said to the men of the army who had gone into the battle: “This is the statute of the law that Jehovah commanded Moses, 22 ‘Only the gold and the silver, the copper, the iron, the tin and the lead, 23 everything that is processed with fire, YOU should pass through the fire, and it must be clean. Only it should be purified by the water for cleansing. And everything that is not processed with fire YOU should pass through the water. 24 And YOU must wash YOUR garments on the seventh day and be clean, and afterward YOU may come into the camp.’”

25 And Jehovah proceeded to say this to Moses: 26 “Take the sum of the booty, the captives both of humankind and of domestic animals, you and El·e·a´zar the priest and the heads of the fathers of the assembly. 27 And you must divide the booty in two between those taking part in the battle who went out on the expedition and all the rest of the assembly. 28 And as a tax for Jehovah you must take away from the men of war who went out on the expedition one soul out of five hundred, of humankind and of the herd and of the asses and of the flock. 29 From their half YOU should take it and you must give it to El·e·a´zar the priest as Jehovah’s contribution. 30 And from the half of the sons of Israel you should take one out of fifty, of humankind, of the herd, of the asses and of the flock, of every sort of domestic animal, and you must give them to the Levites, the keepers of the obligation of Jehovah’s tabernacle.”

31 And Moses and El·e·a´zar the priest went doing just as Jehovah had commanded Moses. 32 And the booty, the rest of the plunder that the people of the expedition had taken as plunder, amounted to six hundred and seventy-five thousand of the flock, 33 and seventy-two thousand of the herd, 34 and sixty-one thousand asses. 35 As for human souls from the women who had not known the act of lying with a male, all the souls were thirty-two thousand.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"Also about half the Bible translations commonly available (including KJ and ASV) have "kill", not "murder""

But the word used in the Hebrew is murder. I'm not arguing good, bad or whatever. I'm just talking about this one word.

Why would I care how it's mis-translated, why would you care?

IF, and I said IF, a person wants to know what the bible says, he needs to know what the Hebrew (in this case, Greek for the NT) word is. Not some translation. You find out the Hebrew word, do a word study and then you will know what the real transalation should be.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight but all the translations that say "kill" are wrong.

According to the bible, it is not against Mosiac Law to kill in self defence. (just as an example)

Now you may not like that and you may argue that that make the bible and God ....whatever...but please get the facts straight. Thanks.

To Simon, there the hell is the spell checker!

Peace

• inkling
    inkling
    but the word used in the Hebrew is murder. I'm not arguing good, bad or whatever. I'm just talking about this one word.

I understand what you are saying, and I am not directly disagreeing with you. The Bible never uses the word
    "rasah" when talking about killing on a battlefield, and the word is most often used to mean unjust, evil, and
    intentional taking of a life, i.e., "murder"

However, I would also like to point out that is not quite that clear cut, becuase the same word is ALSO used
    when talking about:

Unintentional manslaughter (Deut 4:41; 19:3-6; Joshua 20:3)

Blood vengeance (Num 35:27,30)

Legal execution of a criminal (Num 35:30)
    (litterally the command is "you should murder the murderer", not "you should kill the murderer".)

[inkling]

• Gladring
    Gladring

For me -

(2 Samuel 12:15-18) . . .And Jehovah proceeded to deal a blow to the child that the wife of U?ri′ah had borne to David so that it took sick. 16 And David began to seek the [true] God in behalf of the boy, and David went on a strict fast and came in and spent the night and lay down on the earth. 17 So the older men of his house stood up over him to raise him up from the earth, but he did not consent and did not take bread in company with them. 18 And it came about on the seventh day that the child gradually died.. . .

Oh, and I hate the Song of Solomon.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Genesis 1:28 reads, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.'"

VIDEONETDAILY

Is the Bible to blame for trashing Earth?

TV wildlife star says creationism leads to 'devastating' environment

Posted: January 31, 2009
    10:55 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

In promoting a new special that commemorates the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin, one of television's most popular and enduring naturalists has declared that the Bible is to blame for humanity's destruction of the environment.

Sir David Attenborough, who for 50 years has been the face and voice of the BBC's natural history programs popular in both the U.S. and U.K., says that the Book of Genesis has taught generations that people can "dominate" and "devastate" the environment under the excuse that God gave humanity dominion over the earth.

Want to know what Scripture REALLY says? Get "Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told" personally autographed!

Genesis 1:28 reads, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.'"

Attenborough insists that Genesis has allowed people to justify destroying the environment and that embracing Darwinist evolution frees people from their biblical excuse.

www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=87651

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

outofthebox: does it really say that - my god! somethings wrong there.

I tend to think of the bible as any other spiritual book like any other - there are some things in there that are useful and I can apply to my life and there are other things that I don't agree with.

Re: Satan - I remember reading some fictional story about what this snake looked like - because remember it was condemed to slide on it's belly after the great sin - this book described it as a beautiful creature, legs an' all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit