What is the most damning scripture in the Bible?

by viva 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• inkling
    inkling
    1 John 4:8 - "God is love."
    1 Corinthians 13:4 - "Love is not jealous."
    Exodus 34:14 - "God, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."

Ow...make the cognitive dissonance go away!

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

"And then God proceeded to create woman..."

(Hope I don't get any flak for this, lol..)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Additionally, I noticed that the real Satan, as described in Genesis, was actually doing his job above and beyond the call of duty.

Look again. There is no Satan in the book of Genesis. It was a later interpretive tradition that read Satan into the Eden narrative. If you read the account on its own terms, the snake is .... well, a snake. It was one of the creatures that Yahweh formed out of the ground to present to Adam (2:19, 3:1, 3:14) and it was the progenitor of all future snakes just as Eve was the progenitor of all later humans (3:15, 20).

• inkling
    inkling
    and it was the progenitor of all future snakes just as Eve was the progenitor of all later humans (3:15).

Huh... I never noticed that.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

For me it was scriptures like:

(Psalm 137:9) . . .Happy will he be that grabs ahold and does dash to pieces Your children against the crag.

(2 Kings 2:23-24) . . .And he proceeded to go up from there to Beth′el. As he was going up on the way, there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe in the divine origin of a book that repeatedly advocates the killing of inncent children. I've pointed out these texts to JWs and I get blank stares and strange justifications.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The most powerful, all knowning gawd and creator of everything couldn't find Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The gawd had to start walking around yelling out "God damnit! Where the hell are you????"

Gen 3

8 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool [c] of the day, and the man and his wife (H) hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, "Where are you?"

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Elsewhere, your post just made me laugh out loud...

• Farkel
    Farkel

What to hypocritical politicians have in common with God? A: they hold others to a much higher standard than themselves. They force others to not do things they routinely do. They force others to do things they feel they don't have to do.

Therefore, the most damning scripture in the Bible is the one that condemns God as the ultimate hypocrite:

"Thou shalt not kill."

Farkel

• Ri
    Ri

All of the book of rev is really strange...with the beast and the whore and angels with bowls.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "Thou shalt not kill."

I thought killing was ok as long as it was done to collect Philistine foreskins in order to buy a wife.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit