Leonard Cohen in Concert Last Week at 74 - This Man has Still Got It!!

by Seeker4 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101034642

Above is a link to Leonard Cohen in concert in Manhattan a week or so ago. He is a brillant singer, songwriter and poet, a Hall of Famer, but there is something more to Leonard.

I started an essay last year called "Leonard Cohen and My Other Fathers." I think over the years, through his songs and poetry and how he's lived his life, Cohen has taught me as much about how a man lives and ages well and deals with the women in his life as any man I've known. I lost my dad when I was a baby, and have no memoryof him. When I thnk if the men who've influenced me the most, though I've never met him, my mind always comes back to Leonard Cohen.

I was a good, but not always faithful husband. I have had a few lovers. There are people who judge and condemn me for that. But to this day, whenever I meet any woman that I've loved or who's been a lover, she smiles, and we are still friends. How many men can say that? Leonard Cohen, perhaps. For some reason, I think I owe him something for that.

S4

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

He's the one that does the Soprano's theme song, right? Awesome.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It sounds like your favorite game is 'The soldier and the whore'

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Seeker4..Yes Cohen has gotten better with age..He`s probably more popular than ever.....And..He`s Canadian!!..LOL!!.............................................drwts32..The theme song for the Soprano`s "Blue Moon" is not done by Cohen.....................

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nice, Black Sheep. Never heard of that game, and wouldn't play it. With that comment, I think of you more as an ass than a sheep.

Do you have any idea who Cohen is, or just trying to be clever?

Outlaw - thanks for getting it. I've got a ton of favorite Canadian performers: Cohen, Fred Eaglesmith, Neil Young, most of the members of The Band, Joni Mitchell, David Francey - the top of the list.

S4

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Seeker4.. 2 Cohen storys for you........One day Leonard wanted something to mix with his Vodka..All he had was Cranberry Juice..That was the day he named a new drink.."The Red Needle"......................Leonard sometimes spends vaction time in a monestary,as a monk!..LOL!!..

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Cohen is actually a Buddhist monk, and he spent five years in a monastary - hardly a vacation. When he got out, he found that his manager had defrauded him for $5 million. Part of the reason he's back on the road.

And I do agree, he's improved with time.

S4

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Seeker4..I had no idea he was in there that long..The documentary I saw many years ago never said he was permanently living there..It was more of a rest for him..He must have liked it alot,to go live there for 5 years..Thanks for the update!!

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Maybe you didn't know Cohen as well as I thought you did. No offense was ment.

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Game-Leonard-Cohen/dp/1400033624

Cheers

Chris

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

Seeker4, your d'affaires de coeur are more like a visit to The Sisters Of Mercy; if your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn, they will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem.

Don’t worry about what others here have said. There always will be those with their knee in your balls and their fist in your face.

Cohen is superlative in his parsing of love, hate and everything in between.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit