Trying to find Faith

by Lostfromthefaith 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Lost,

What brought a 14 year old Catholic to here, I wonder.

I suggest you forget about religions and having faith. Instead learn to simply be silently present with the REALITY of nature and life in and around you, and discover what it has to teach you.

Then, when you are older -- no religion will fool you.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Hi Lostfromthefaith, I was the same age you were when I made the mistake of joining the religion that most members of this forum used to be in.

What is as important as finding out what's good for you is realizing what's not good or even dangerous to you. Read all you can but don't join any religion. I hope that in your studies you come to the realization that the Judeo-Christian bible is an insane religion which contradicts itself and is evil. This link will show you why you shouldn't respect the Bible.

Yes, it's all fake, God and devil, heaven and hell but life can be rich without these religions. If your mind insists on having a religion then, and I speak as an atheist, Buddhism is the least destructive and non dictatorial religion.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    You have come to the wrong place if you are trying to find it. Faith is not always a virtue in fact seldom is.
  • jhine
    jhine

I agree with most of what is said above . Definitely stay away from the Watchtower, and the Mormons as well , they are just as cult like .

Yes read, research look at all sides. Read books that are anti faith but make sure that you also read books that give the other side of the argument . On this site you will mostly find atheists , OK everyone makes their own decisions .Just research thoroughly before coming to your own conclusions .

... Jan

• yogosans14
    yogosans14

Yes, God is real. But to first off all have a relationship with God you need to repent of your sins and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savoir, then you will be reconciled to God. If you do this you will become a Born again.

What does it mean to be a born-again Christian? The classic passage from the Bible that answers this question is John 3:1-21. The Lord Jesus Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a prominent Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin (the ruling body of the Jews). Nicodemus had come to Jesus at night with some questions.

As Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’ ‘How can a man be born when he is old?’ Nicodemus asked. ‘Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, “You must be born again”’” (John 3:3-7).

The phrase "born again" literally means "born from above." Nicodemus had a real need. He needed a change of his heart—a spiritual transformation. New birth, being born again, is an act of God whereby eternal life is imparted to the person who believes (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:3; 1 John 2:29; 3:9; 4:7; 5:1-4, 18). John 1:12, 13 indicates that being "born again" also carries the idea of "becoming children of God" through trust in the name of Jesus Christ.

The question logically comes, "Why does a person need to be born again?" The apostle Paul in Ephesians 2:1 says, "And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins" (NKJV). To the Romans he wrote, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Sinners are spiritually “dead”; when they receive spiritual life through faith in Christ, the Bible likens it to a rebirth. Only those who are born again have their sins forgiven and have a relationship with God.

How does that come to be? Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." When one is saved, he/she has been born again, spiritually renewed, and is now a child of God by right of new birth. Trusting in Jesus Christ, the One who paid the penalty of sin when He died on the cross, is the means to be "born again." "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

If you have never trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, will you consider the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to your heart? You need to be born again. Will you pray the prayer of repentance and become a new creation in Christ today? "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God" (John 1:12-13).

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and be born again, here is a sample prayer. Remember, saying this prayer or any other prayer will not save you. It is only trusting in Christ that can save you from sin. This prayer is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for providing for your salvation. "God, I know that I have sinned against you and am deserving of punishment. But Jesus Christ took the punishment that I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I place my trust in You for salvation. Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness—the gift of eternal life! Amen!"

• cofty
    cofty

yogosans - After I left the cult I too became a born-again christian.

Do you think it is honest to preach your faith to others until you first faced up to the all of the evidence against your beliefs?

Christianity begins by telling us how worthless and sinful we are. It is a dehumanising cult of self-loathing. Its holy book is hopelessly contradictory, unscientific and morally flawed, and its founder was a failed apocalyptic prophet.

Once you have investigated the very best arguments against christianity and offered compelling answers then you can honestly recommend it to others.

• menrov
    menrov

Just start reading a bible (you can find many on the internet, or can be downloaded for free for tablet / smartphone). Start with the NT, not the OT, as the NT is meant for Christians and more for our times. Same as when you would become a doctor. You would start with the latest study books, not the ones used in say 1500.

When you have questions, try to use the internet to find answers from more reliable (unbiased) sources. You can use this forum but there are also a few others that are rather good to help with biblical questions.

Practice your own thinking. Learn to make up your mind, and ideas, and test them. This will take you pretty well where you want to be.

• Gone and forgotten
    Gone and forgotten

Lostfromthefaith, I understand the spiritual quest you are on. The desire for a deep relationship with God. No one can tell you what is right for you, the journey must be your own. Do your research. Ask questions and if the answers don't feel right, ask more questions. One thing for sure is no one has all the answers. No matter what a particular religion claims, they truly don't know it all.

As far as JWs are concerned, their teachings appear to be all bible based, and most of them are really good people. Just keep in mind that they discourage higher education, association with others outside of the organization...including your parents...is really discouraged and although not forbidden, you would never be permitted to celebrate another holiday or birthday, you could never participate in any school activity or be friends with people you go to school with, and most likely since you weren't raised "in the truth", the kids at the hall would not be permitted to closely associated with you.

It's really great that your parents are supportive in this, so get their advise and opinions. They only want what's best for you and they would have a more experienced outlook to keep you out of a potentially harmful situation.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Welcome, Lostfromthefaith.

I'm afraid I might not be much help - I don't know if there is a god.

What I will say is: talk things through with your parents. Listen to them, they have more life experience than you do.

Also, try to live a 'good life'.

Take school seriously and find out what subjects interest you. Listen to your teachers and work hard.

Don't worry too much over the existence of hell.

All the best

LUHE

• Giordano
    Giordano

Lostfromthefaith consider this............. Jesus waited until he was 30 to get Baptized. Follow his example and see what it all looks like then.

In the mean time be a decent respectful person and avoid dangerous stuff and habits. By the way if your normal 14 year old there's probably only one sin your committing.....I can assure you it is not a sin.....not even close.

Because you were born into a Christian tradition your inclination is to explore that option. If you had been born a Muslin or Hindu.....guess what?

You don't have to be a believer or a non believer. You do have to understand that you have been born into a world that reflects about 10,000 years of civilization.

Start by reading history and get a feel for how mankind evolved (not Evolution though that's a good study too). Note how gods and religion developed. Look at how the different cultures world wide had god's that looked like them, had rules that fit their way of life. Note how many of these gods died out.

The Hindu religion is now the longest surviving religion does that mean their millions of gods are the true god's?

At this point and time in your life your brain is still growing you are no longer the 7 year old you were nor do you believe in the things you once did like Santa Claus or that your parents know and understood everything. Think about who you will be when your 10 years older....how much more you will have learned. In general you will not look the same or think the same though you will remember who you were as a 14 year old.

I think that's what most of us are telling you. So if waiting was good enough for Jesus follow that example.

If you really have a need for religion then study the various religions from the outside/in, study their history, the good things and bad.

If your in need of spiritual comfort find it in nature for now, in music and literature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit