Prove the Truth to yourself.

by integ 29 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

A sister from my "congregation" has a bible study, and this study had compiled a boatload of questions about Russell, the WT history, and incongruencies etc. etc. and the sister told her that she refuses to answer the questions and that they are apostate teachings. She told the study that "it isn't up to me to prove the Truth to you, YOU need to prove the Truth to yourself".

As another poster put up the topic of "doesn't it blow your mind?" it certainly applies in this case.

What does it say about a religion and its adherents that they can go to peoples houses and tell them about their beliefs, and how their beliefs are the Truth, but when confronted with honest questions, they get a response like the above?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I wonder if she studied this stuff herself and came to her own conclusion that the stuff was apostate.

I never heard anyone say they needed to prove to themselves it was the truth,

but to make the truth their own,

which I took it to mean based on the information provided by your bible study teacher and the organization.

I can't imagine the lady I studied with coming back with some nonsense like that for an answer.

purps

• New light for you
    New light for you

because they have the all-knowing perfect catch-all answer.... ."its apostate!!!!!!!"" OH MY GOD!! HOW EVIL??!!!!!!

My mother asked me recently "why do you have to have apostate materials, if you want to leave just leave!! dont read that stuff!!"

I said... "do you even know what "apostate" means? what do you think is in the books? they're just people like me, who learned their whole life is a lie and tried to make their way thru it... THATS what you're defining as "apostate" ". The topic was then dropped.

• New light for you
    New light for you

I would like to say that...

"it isn't up to me to prove the Truth to you, YOU need to prove the Truth to yourself".

I have heard that many times, its a popular come-back for many many questions. Again, a great way to dodge looking at ANY info someone might have.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

She told the study that "it isn't up to me to prove the Truth to you, YOU need to prove the Truth to yourself".

If they don't have to back up what they say, why do they knock on people's doors and try to turn their lives inside out?

W

• yknot
    yknot

My experience has been that :

1. Converts are those who didn't 'test all things' before joining....

2. Born-ins/raised who never really paid much attention to the meetings but are continuing on the life their mamma's set them.

A 'mature and experienced' sister would have simply packed up her things and labeled the person as demon-possessed......making sure the Elders knew of the incidence and address..... it had been a ruse of Satan from the start, thanking the slave's wise counsel and thus saving her from apostasy!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If the "teacher" refuses to answer the question, the "student" should start researching with independent sources (even if they are "apostate"). Checking the "apostate" viewpoint with the Bible is acceptable, and especially if the "apostate" is claiming to use the Bible. And there are plenty of other Christian sources, both in the Catholic denominations and the various Protestant denominations.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

It shows how utterly brainwashed that sister is and actually afraid of going away and researching it herself out of a morbid fear of actually finding something WRONG taught by the precious and perfect FDS (read GB)

• poppers
    poppers

Wow - incredible. It seems to me that she was making an honest effort to get answers. Do you have any idea what the study's response was? Why not find out and point her to JWD, or print up responses to this thread and give it to her.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Can any religion prove itself to be true? I think most people have religion to help them face death or in many cases cause them to face death. Most religions have some written book that they try to understand, which supposedly was inspired by some God that wanted humans to act a certain way to please HIM.(or whatever a God is) Humans cannot understand the universe, it is too complicated, so we look up in the sky and imagine someone up there made it all. Someone we can't see or talk with but who had a book written that can only be explained by some priest or group of men who have a special relationship with his spirit. Now we need to get out there and find the truth about it all.

Ken P.

Sorry, I'm a little off the real subject of this post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit