Driving on Ice

by mrsjones5 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Quirky1
    Quirky1
    @$$hummers

LOL

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Good points all.... all wheel and 4 wheel drive just gets one stuck farther off the traveled part of the road.

I learned how to operate on snow and ice at an early age... and get off the road as soon as I can .... some folks have death wishes and I'd rather not be a by-stander.

`Jeff

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    @$$hummers
    LOL

Ahem, there was a space in between @$$ and hummers.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I am unable to see it...

Weird... go to youtube and search for bumper cars portland.

• musky
    musky
    turn into the spin if you start wiping out

I would turn my wheels opposite the direction of spin

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

28 years of driving on ice in Cleveland.

Thats why I live in Florida.

• musky
    musky
    Of course, it makes sense to keep the speed to where you can stop in the distance you can see in (and sometimes you have to slow down).

Excellent!

If there is one piece of advice for driving in bad weather, it is to keep plenty of distance between you and the car ahead of you. Same goes for on ramps to freeways. (less congestion.) I see people who think that the speed limit sign is the proper speed for all conditions. The speed limit is for ideal conditions. There are just too many me first jerks out there that don't want to play nice.

• Simon
    Simon

We're getting used to driving on deep snow and ice here in Calgary ... it's great fun on the back streets where you can get the car going sideways, LOL

I think I'll buy some winter tires next year though (none to be had now as they were all sent to the East Coast where they passed a law making them mandatory)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I mastered driving in snow and ice in 1980. I was driving a 1962 Falcon in Eden, North Carolina. What I did was go into big empty parking lots and get up speed, then go into a controlled spin. Then I would turn into it and recover. I got the feel of what a car does so it became natural to move on snow and ice.

My last snow driving was a few years ago in Carson City, Nevada. I was out driving around looking for geocaches when th snow storm hit. Before long there was several inches of snow. I needed to climb through some hilly areas to get back to where I was staying, so my biggest problem was getting momentum to climb a slick hill, and not coming to a stop.

I made it okay, but I sure do not like being around other drivers in those conditions.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

So many trips to the mountains for skiing taught me how to drive in the worst conditions. My latest Vegas run had me running through snow and ice and at times lots of rain. I never go cheap on tires. $1000.00 last time around and I was tracking while others were spinning. Some of the time I was breaking down hard in a pinch to avoid hitting a lake of water at 75 mph and then accelerating like crazy to avoid those behind me. My wife was asleep through most of this thank goodness. BTW if your car has an option for traction control, buy it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit