Driving on Ice

by mrsjones5 40 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I had run some errands today, got out the house close to noon, and it was about two hours before I started home. Came out of Aldi's and the parking lot was slick with ice. I get on the road, all the roads are slick with ice. Saw two slide offs, one bumper collision, and one guy driving too fast and swerving on the road. I drove15-20 miles an hour all the way home. I was scared and glad when I finally made it.

Josie

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

From a Mississippi resident:

That sounds bad. I wouldn't have a CLUE what to do!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Stay home until it melts.... or be sure if you have to drive keep it slow enough that you can stop with very controlled braking.

Locked (braked) wheels slide.... "if you cant roll ya got no control"

Hill

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Last week we had icy roads every morning for school ....I drive school bus and it is not fun in this kind of weather ....slow...slow...slow .

Tonight we had ice and there have been EMS calls going out all night so far four roll overs along the highway in the past three hours !

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

we had ice down here in the st louis area.... I had a friend call me and told me he was driving around and no big deal...in his truck...then apparently he skidded...something about having to let me go ...he needed to pay attention to driving....lol

black ice is unpredictable, unseen, and uncontrollable once you hit it...

i stayed home all day long...me and the cat... curled up and read a book...

I realized the single pane windows in my bedroom have no storm windows... damn ...it got cold even with the furnace turned up and a space heater... poor cat even crawled under the covers ...and for a change I didnt have the heart to toss her out (not completely altruistic, she was keeping my feet warm)...

..so I took another comforter, loosened the mini blinds a little, wedged the comforter under the top part, tightened them back down...and it warmed up nicely) ...I need to go get some plastic for those windows this week...

Was single digits yesterday...supposed to get in the mid 50s by Friday and 61 by Sunday... weird weather...

Snakes ()

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Been awhile since I have driven on black ice. I made all my travel plans based on bad weather. so far so good

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Yeah Snakes...that sleet and ice came as a surprise to me!

The UPS truck came and I thought it was just raining..but I noticed they had trouble walking on the sidewalk...

I hope it melts by tomorrow I have a lot of running to do!

A fellow Missourian..

Snoozy...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Driving advice for snow and ice.

I put two new tires on the front of my car that had a high snow rating. I had the front moved to the back, the old tires, since I have front wheel drive. My car handles a lot better. I take it slow and it sometimes helps to drive in a lower gear. I leave plenty of space in between me and the next car. Take turns very slowly and pull out slowly. Give yourself plenty of extra room to stop because you can slide into an intersection. Don't break hard. And watch out for the drivers, usually in SUVs who aren't being careful! Lots of SUV's in the ditch around here.

Mrs. Jones, we have close to 3 feet of snow out there.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you have a stick shift, you can sometimes avoid spinning out your wheels if you start in second instead of first. Of course, it makes sense to keep the speed to where you can stop in the distance you can see in (and sometimes you have to slow down). Getting special ice tires (the studded kind) also helps.

Of course, if all you have to go to is the Kingdumb Hell, you are better off not going.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It's really scary, but the only thing that really works, if breaking does not work, is accelerating into the slide. It does help you regain control. Try it in an empty parking lot so you know the feeling. Hope you get off to California before next winter, so you don't have to think about it anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit