computer question

by rekless 16 Replies latest jw friends

• rekless
    rekless

whish is better an i machine or a PC.

and will the I machine or apple, interface with my old hp psc950, Ibm monitor?

I'm using an old win 95 unit now, just lucky to have it.

thanks

dan

• leavingwt
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have 7 PC's at home. I don't like to throw the old ones out as long as I can find a use for them. I work with PC's every day. I'm sick of Microsoft. So two weeks ago I decided to go out and buy a Mac Pro with dual quad core processors and 4 GB RAM. So far so good. Just be aware that, if you have expensive software, not every company will allow you a cross platform upgrade. The Mac I bought included an adaptor to allow connection to a VGA monitor. I haven't had this computer long enough to say if it will be better, but at least any problems should be different. It's CHANGE that I needed.

• rekless
    rekless

what happened I went on my grand daughter's myspace page and clicked on her picture and it wiped my entire hd out. I'm afraid it went into my memory if that is possible and will infect any new HD. So it is best to stay with PC windows. Will the Vista program interface with my HP printer and IBM Moniter?

dan

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes, you will be able to connect your old monitor. You may need a DVI to VGA adaptor, but that's no big deal. Additionally, monitors and printers are dirt cheap.

Regarding your printer and Vista, here is what HP has to say:

A full feature software and driver package for Windows Vista is not available for your product. However, the Windows Vista operating system installed on your computer contains a basic driver solution for your product. With the basic driver, the buttons on the product do not function and some of the advanced product features are not available. But you can still print, scan, and import and view images on a memory card, using the workaround procedures in this document.
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

leavingwt, that's what HP said about my scanner. Their basic driver for Vista for my scanner was pathetic. Their "solution" was to recommend buying a new scanner. After paying over $1000 for this scanner, it makes more sense to hang on to my older computer running XP. And people wonder why I hang on to my older computers...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    it makes more sense to hang on to my older computer running XP

Indeed. Let your needs drive your decisions. Do not fix things that are not broken. Move to Vista when it is necessary, and not before, if possible.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I ditched Windows back in July in favour of an iMac. I managed to get it for $150 off the ticket price so I spent that $150 on 4GB of RAM. Haven't regretted it for a second. Boots in 10 seconds, still yet to see the OS crash, Firefox has crashed 2, maybe 3 times no other problems whatsoever.

It just works, exactly the way I'd like my computer to work. I know iMacs aren't upgradeable but I have a TV tuner module for it so I figure even when it is no longer any good to me as a computer, I can still use the unit as a TV and what the hell, it looks good on my desk too.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Dan if your looking at upgrade your computer system keep in mind that Vista is more demanding in regards to hardware

( CPU, RAM, HD and how old the rest of your system that you have ) XP is less demanding

Switching over to a completely different Operating System like the Mac may not be totally appreciated .

If you can tell me what is occurring with your system I may be able to help, by brother owns a computer store and is also a technician

• rekless
    rekless

I would rather continue with an xp I have both the xp pro and the xp home, but running a win 98 I think. I am afraid to install the ep on this machine because It is the only machine I have and I need to at least do on line banking. I'm stuck in South Dakota, My wife died on the 8th.( I already posted her passing) and I have nobody to talk to...I'm in the middle of a Huttirite and Meninite commutities. Finally 2 religions worst than the JW's, and I don't think their family tree seperate too far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit