Born again JW's?

by free2beme 46 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am sorry, but I just find it so hard to see a bunch of former Witnesses doing the whole born again thing. Acting in a way that is just trading one line of thought, for another. Basically, one time you said you were waiting for the "new system" and now you pulled that thought out and replaced it with the "waiting for heaven" comment. It all just seems like those ones are just so unhappy or unwilling to make the most of this life, that they keep waiting for the next one to come. Perhaps this life is all there is though, why waste it thinking something better is on the other side; just like the Witnesses did. I hear comments like "There is a mansion waiting for me" and I know this is a comment coming from the Christian belief in heaven and I wonder, "Do you really think the same laws of physics govern a spiritual realm, the same as it does the physical?" I just do not get these "I found Jesus" comments either. I made fun of those comments as a Witness, for good reason and when I left and found my own Pagan roots. I did not suddenly leave my former core thinking and see some value in such things.

I have to ask, do people who go in to this type of thinking and religion; after leaving the Witnesses. Do this out of just filling a hole in your life, that suddenly became a void you were comfortable with? Are you at an age in life, in which you have fewer years ahead, then behind and just want to have some sort of hope and feel there is not enough years left to make it overly complicated? I just do not get it and to be honest, I have asked this question on this board many times over the years and the answers just make no sense. Just because you change the comment, and the phrase, does not mean you improved in anyway. It just means you know how to update your way of speaking. Your mind is still doing the same thing, which is not accepting this life for the jewel it is and making the most of it.

If I have learned anything from my exit from the religion and time in this life, it is that when people are dying, they would do anything for one more moment and one more day. Yet those same people waste so much time, in the life that lead up to their final breath, doing things like what I talked about here. The final joke, is that it is a faith that requires no proof. Believe and you are fine, group together with people who feel the same and you feel less ridiculous or guilty, in the end ... who knows, but do not think that just because you painted the white wall with color paint, the white paint ever really disappeared. It is just a peal away from being the same thing.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

John 3:3
    In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "

John 3:7
    You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.'

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

You have your viewpoint of what these sciptures mean, just as many others have accepted the same viewpoints of other men as truthful teachings.

But what do they really mean?

What does the Holy Spirit reveal?

BA- Only those who develop faith, and are instructed by the Holy Spirit, understand.

PS- Develop faith, pray for the Holy Spirit, then read in context.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

free2beme, where is your spirit of adventure? I'm not born again but can resonate with the sense of being a pilgrim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim's_Progress

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Some people need religion and "the garden of Eden" in their lives.......I have been hit by the reality that we are alone......scary!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Free to be me, Good post, I enjoyed it.

I left the tower in 83, because Armegedon didnt come in 75.

Thats the reason I was a witness. Armegedon. I was threatened and pressured to go to meetings or I would be destroyed.

But I was in the tower 24 years before I found out they were lying about 75. And it took me till I was 31 to figure out how to escape, there was no internet or support groups that I knew of.

Having gone to meetings all my life I figured I would read the bible to find out what was going on as opposed to having bits and pieces fed to me through the watchtower magazines.

Reading the bible can be addictive and calming it depends how much attention you pay to what you are reading.

I worked with a man who was a born again believer and we talked and I went to some various churches and watched bible tv and I was getting born again 3, 4 times a week.

I did realize I was jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I was just trading poisons.

I was just trading masters who wanted to rob my energy.

I read the bible cover to cover 5 times, it took about a year each time to read. I made notes and started catogorizing and researching and things were not adding up.

Then the internet came along and there was all kinds of information that I had never seen before.

I have always been a voracious reader, I have always been looking for the truth, Or trying to figure out what is going on.

With the election of George Bush by the right wing Christians who abhor abortions but have no problem with killing living humans, I had had it with being born again.

I dont think it ever took.

But if it did, they tell me I'm covered.

They said you can only be born again once that's all it takes.

I look at my being born again as a phase a stop on my journey.

I watched my father die which was very upsetting and he never made any deals with God.

He never went to church, he never read the bible.

I dont know whether he believed in God or not.

I am sure he believed in an after life that would be better than this life and he was going there to be with his loved ones and animals.

After he died my brother who was already psychic became more psychic and tells me he has seen my father several times and he is in a real good place with all his relatives and animals and he is waiting to see me when I cross on over.

I dont have to go to any meetings, church or give anybody my energy to believe that.

He never did.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It is better to live with hope for an eternal future than without.

The accounts of Jesus' life portray ideals worth imitating.

And there is no reason to believe that you can't live in the moment and make the most of your current life while striving for true Christian ideals.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Acting in a way that is just trading one line of thought, for another.

Many that say they have become "born again" say it is due to a spiritual experience, an encounter with what they believe is Jesus Christ. This is a subjective experience.

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God.

Now, not just BAs, but everyone that leaves the JWs trades one line of thought for another. You have as well. Don't be so sure what the color of the paint on the wall really is, even you don't know everything. Maybe you have painted the wall also. I believe everyone paints the wall, the wall is colored by our own subjective perception.

For or now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face.

Your mind is still doing the same thing, which is not accepting this life for the jewel it is and making the most of it.

And in what way does being "born again" detract from this life? How are they "wasting time"? Please explain that for me. For many, this life is greatly enhanced if they acknowledge and allow a spiritual dimension in it.

BTS

• seek2find
    seek2find

Well here I go, walking on thin ice. But I'll try to give you my perspective. Yes I do consider myself "Born again". Basically to me that term means to make a new start in a new direction. In my case it's in the direction of Christ and following him and not an organization. In your case, I think we could say that you were "born again" also, into a state of disbelief in the divine author of you life. Your post, and much of the overall tone of many post on this board as well as others, highlights why the Watchtower Society is so dangerous. That is because they get people so wrapped up in believing it's the truth, that when they leave, they leave behind not only their religion, but also any belief in a creator. They do what Ann Landers used to refer to as "throwing out the Baby with the bathwater" Just because we were born into or converted into a deceptive organization, doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. It just means that a mistake was made, whether by us personally, or by our parents or Grandparents. Our story is not unique, it has been repeated in many different faiths down through the years. Whether you believe in God or not is a personal decision. But I wonder, if you are so sure of your way of thinking, and if this life is all there there is, why do you waste time asking others why they do believe? Wouldn't your time be better spent in pursuit of pleasure? The clock is ticking. Every second you waste is closer to the end of your life. Doesn't that thought depress you, if this is all there is? And won't it depress you even more the older you get? Sincerly, seek2find

• sacolton
    sacolton

Acts 13:48

"When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and ALL WHO WERE APPOINTED FOR ETERNAL LIFE BELIEVED."

We have an appointment with our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I went over to the pentecostals for a little while after leaving mainly because my deprograming came in spurts, eventually as deprogramming progressed I was able to see the bible in a new light and rejected its mythology as ancient and out dated and as tool of control used by the rich and politcally powerful.

I must admitt that being so misled by a religion, has caused me to do a lot of research in the libraries and now mainly the internet,,so maybe the after effect has been good, I no longer feel the need to join or follow any religion,,and my eyes have been opened to the indoctrination of the state and corporate owned media,,,it's a little unsettleing,, but also a lot more interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit