Way Back When You Were A Witness.......

by LB 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Monica
    Monica

I don't think any of these sites were around when I became inactive (late 80s). There were a few reasons why I left and I wouldn't say that the reasons had anything to do with 'doubts' per se and I don't even know if there were ex-jw sites back then.

In the mid-90s, I hooked up to the internet and one of the first things I typed in was 'Jehovah's Witnesses'. I was shocked that out of the first 10 options, 8 of them were ex-jw sites. At the time, I still held much of the JW beliefs and even felt guilty for clicking on the links. In fact, a lot of the subjects I couldn't even open.

I'd have to say that the internet isn't the reason why I left (I don't think it was around then), but the things I've learned on the internet in the past 6-7 yrs is definitely the reason why I stay away.

• Mum
    Mum

So glad your wife and you managed to weather this storm together, LB.

I left the org in 1979, so there was no internet. We got on the internet in 1996, and my daughter discovered the old H2O in 1997. We took heart to see that there are so many of us, that we can offer one another support and ideas for coping.

We also noticed that ex-JW's are so darn happy to be free that they are some of the funniest, most fun-loving, wonderful people in the world!

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• xjw
    xjw

Well since we're all sharing "coming out" stories, I might as well add my own...

I think what started the ball rolling in the direction of the KH exit door for me was the uncaring, cold, rigid attitude of certain elders in our old congregation. Then our family moved across the country to Alberta and into an even colder, even less caring congregation. Elders are supposed to be concerned when your field service hours drop to practically nil. I told the PO of this new congregation that my hours had never been that low before EVER, and he just shrugged as if to say "what do you want ME to do about it??" But his apathy was a blessing because it made me start to seriously doubt what kind of an organization this truly was. If people care more about talking about their golf games than the fact that you are losing your faith in the only way of life you've ever known and have made so many painful sacrifices for, then you gotta wonder if they're "God's people" as they so claim. Eventually we moved into a warmer, friendlier congregation, but by then my doubts had already snowballed and were gaining more momentum with every passing day. I really started to resent women's "place" in the organization, and I started to realize how degrading this subordination to men really was. Then at one assembly I got so sick of the constant harping that they do to make you feel like you're never good enough for God that I could feel tears forming in my eyes, and I left the building. From then on I attended less and less meetings, and started to spend a lot of time with my "worldly" friends, who introduced me to the bar scene among other things. This was probably the first step out -- starting to integrate into the rest of the world and stop isolating myself exclusively to JW friends. Then I started to FINALLY, for the first time, explore my sexuality. I felt sooooooooo guilty about it at first, but eventually learned to relax about it. Although there was something inside me that was telling me that I didn't feel as strongly about boys as my other female friends did. Eventually my feelings for my girlfriends exploded like a dam that has burst under too much pressure, and after an initial period of much shame and guilt, I started to identify as a queer woman. I believe THAT was the last straw for me - because we all know that Jehovah hates homos!! Or so we are told anyway. Being a JW and a lesbian are mutually exclusive things.

It's been a long road since then and even today I still struggle with the paranoia, isolation, and alienation that has been pounded into me by WBTS doctrine. Spiritually speaking, I have some theories but no set-in-stone beliefs. I consider myself agnostic now. I am slowly but surely picking up the shattered pieces of my identity with the support of my friends. As for the role of the internet in my leaving, it was only after I had left for good that I summoned up the courage to look at "apostate" sites. At first I was too emotional and angry, angry, ANGRY!! to look at that kind of information and realize how cheated I had truly been. Recently though I have developed a more objective but still engrossing interest in the history of the organization and the flaws that they never tell you about at the KH. I've found both watchtower.observer.org and freeminds.org to be helpful.

• teejay
    teejay

...but I did ask him if he would give his son blood to save his life. He did think deeply about this and said "you do that for me dad".

Hello, LB.

Very touching, what you said here. It seems your son is beginning to think already.

Be careful with your attacks of the Society and his beliefs or otherwise you may alienate him. Just love him, be a good dad and grandpa, and trust that one day the lights will begin to flicker on, just as they did for the rest of us. You can't be the one to do it, though, or otherwise he'll become defensive and become even more entrenched.

I'll be back later to comment more, but for now, work calls.

Take care,
    tj

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey LB,

Good thread, I've enjoyed reading the responses. And I'd like to welcome XJW to the board.

When I left the borg about 4 years ago, I didn't even know about sites like this. I wish that I had as it would have meant a great deal in terms of support. I don't think that it would have made a difference in my leaving altho it might have helped me feel better about the decision. It's amazing to me, tho, that so many of us have shared similar experiences and feelings and I think that it's wonderful we have a place to come and interact with one another (thanks Simon and Angharad ). As for now, it just reinforces my belief that I made the right decision. I didn't leave over doctrinal issues; I left because of the shitty treatment I and my kids received from the 'loving' body of elders but I've learned so much about the borg now that I could never go back! I'm free, I'm free!! And it's a great feeling.

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi TJ, All,

Seems to me like the internet as well as information such as that found in COC and Apocalypse Delayed has not influenced as many to leave group activity as collectively it has helped prevent those who have left or been booted out from *wanting* to return. New recruits are helped as well. Prudent individuals who are in the indoctrination *study* process are helped to make a rational decision and I am aware of many who chose not to become involved after they looked at the available facts.

Used to be a walkaway or a castaway Witness was much like a letter without proper postage. They had a tendency to return. Now we become informed, heal and move on . . . never to return.

Best wishes to all,

gb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit