Way Back When You Were A Witness.......

by LB 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• LB
    LB

Back in the dark ages did you used to come into message boards like this one, or H20 and try to defend the watchtower society? I did and things didn't work out so well. Actually they worked out fine, I switched teams. I can honestly say though that it wasn't the board that changed me. I recall lots of attacks and angry people, then, before you knew it, I was one of those angry people. So things have worked out, the anger is leaving and so did I.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

LB,

Glad you made it out.

When I left there was no world wide web, in fact I never knew such forums exsisted until Jan 2000. I wish that I could have visited such places during my initial exodus...would have made things alot easier.

Welcome to you.

Danny

• Satanus
    Satanus

LB

What was the turning point for you? How did the anger you picked up from the board affect your jw life?

SS

• LB
    LB

For me the turning point wasn't so much the anger on boards, but the way witnesses in general treat each other. So much gossip, back biting. That was the start. Then the more I learned about the society and reflected on all the "new lights" the more I realized that Jehovah doesn't change his mind. 607 bothered me a lot. Blood bothered me a lot. Then I began to get angry. I was angry that I had fallen for this at an age when I should have more suspicious.

A year after I left my wife left. What caused her to leave was the way people talked about me right in front of her. She knows how I am and they seemed to paint me the evil one who turned his back on Jehovah.

The anger is dying down. I'm unhappy that my son is stuck at this point in time. But I feel he will wake up eventually. He has a new baby and I'm sad when I think of the life this young boy will lead if he isn't led out. I try not to speak of things in front of my son as it only angers him (there's that anger again) but I did ask him if he would give his son blood to save his life. He did think deeply about this and said "you do that for me dad".

Good to be out

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

Geez LB,

When I stopped going to meetings in 1986 most Australians never had color television or microwave ovens, little tiny telephones that fit in your boot or cars that start everytime you turn the key, let alone the internet. lol.

unclebruce who still marvels at the technicological magic of his pop-up toaster.

• Tammie
    Tammie

When I first came on to sites such as these it was for several reasons. The first thing was that the org. was always saying DON'T GET INVOLVED IN THE INTERNET, or some thing close to that. I was wondering what they was trying to hide. he he Now I know. I never tried to defend what the JW's said at the KH, that was hard enough for me to do out in FS. Which I was not doing a whole lot of that any way. But when I really started to dig into sites such as this one, was when the JW's was saying things that was going against my grain. Sheesh I was raised as a JW, and now they was changing things left and right on me. I'm sorry, but a religion should have a solid foundation. And not something that gets changed every so often. And to me, when they dropped the 1914 teaching, I felt like they had done away with any foundation they had. I'm glad that it did, because it just let me know how sneaky and sly they have been all these years. Never will I ever fall for their smooth words.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I found information on the Internet while I was still a nominal Witness, irregular if not inactive. This was in the summer of 1996. It was the first time I had regular access to the Internet. One day, out of curiosity, I typed in WTB&TS and was blown away by the amount of information available. Pretty quickly I had my nagging doubts converted to full-blown doubts. I became convinced quickly that 1914 and all that was wrong, that the blood ban was all wrong and that the Watchtower Society was not God's chosen.

I didn't spend much time on discussion boards. I did read, Dr. Bob's pages, Randy Watters writings, Gary Busselman's, Kent's and even Farkel's stuff when he went by a regular name. I read the Captain's (COMF now) posts on H2O, he is the one early poster I remember. I owe a lot to all these people and I have come a long way and gone through quite a lot in the last 5 years.

Thanks, all of you.

Thirdson

• larc
    larc

I did not even get on the internet until a little over a year ago. (see date of my first post). I have been out many years and my wife and I had to do it on our own, since there was no internet then, and very few books. We came out before Franz's books. By the time, I read Franz, the anger was pretty much disippated, but the book was a very enlightning suplement to what I have already figured out on my own.

I am now addicted to this place, and have learned a lot of detail that updated me and filled in some blanks. I enjoy expressing my ideas here, whether they are right or wrong and enjoy reading people's reactions to what I say. It is a good place.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I never went on an "apostate" board or site until a few months ago. It didn't really occur to me. I don't think I could have handled the guilt if I had tried as an active witness, hahahah!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi LB,

I really enjoy your posts! It's ironic that when we were dubs, the question was "how did you come into The Truth?" Now, it's "how did you come out of da trooth?"

The Internet nor info re WTBS had anything to do with my exit. It was evolution and science, pure and simple. I had on the video "Dinasour" for my grandkids and had an epiphany. How could there be a loving creator who would create such violence in nature--the great killing fields of nature.

Then and there I decided to do my OWN reading and couldn't do it attending all the meetings, etc. incumbent on a dub.

The rest fell like a house of cards. I called my sister, "Waiting," in two weeks (whom I sensed was negative about the WTS) and she graciously sent me a whole box of stuff she had been collecting over the past year she was out. I didn't even know she had exited as she had been very careful with me.

Thanks for asking! However, I have 2 sons in that I have to be very circumspect around.

Warmly,
    Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit