Would You Wear A Cross Now?

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Okay Reniaa, I am never in the habit of being rude but you my dear don't read very well do you? You are so quick to jump to conclusions that you miss the entire point of what the scriptures are saying.

I mentioned to you in that huge post that is still running and for what reason I have no idea, but any way I said, do you have a picture of someone you carry in your wallet, like you mom dad or grandma or someone special or maybe you have a picture in your possession of one who has lost their life. Now then do you worship those photo's of your loved ones and do you idolize them by carrying them around with or in your home in a beautiful frame? No you don't. They are just a memory of times you have had with your loved ones.

Well Jesus Christ is my loved on. He is my saviour my redeemer, In fact Jesus loves me, I honour my Lord by wearing a cruxfix so that I will never ever lose the memories of his moments on earth 2000 years ago. I know he suffered a horrible death for me and every human on the planet earth. If an individual wishes to show our Lord how much he means to us what greater honour can we show him then by wearing a memory around my neck or any other persons neck. You know there are necklaces that are made of hearts and oval shape that open up and you put pictures of your mom and dad or grandparents or you and your husband or kids do you see what I am getting at. It is no difference what so ever.

One person mentioned the cross is pagan yes it is a lot of things are pagan if you look at them that way. Your talking thousands of years ago. Look at wedding rings they are pagan origin also. Just because something was viewed as pagan eons ago doesn't make it so in the 21st. century. We have become more civilized. We don't look at things as pagan or heathen any more. It doesn't change the fact that Christ Jesus died on a cross now does it?

so to reiterate my convictions yes I do wear a cruxifix and I am honoured to wear it as a constant reminder of my depth of love for Jesus and my respect for the gift He has made possible for mankind. As our Saviour and by His Grace we will attain to eternal life. I don't worship the cruxifix.

orangefatcat

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I've thought of it the Egyptian symbol or something similar but hubby would probably

die if he saw it...

h40

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The cross is not an idol:

n.
      1. An image used as an object of worship.
      2. A false god.
      3. One that is adored, often blindly or excessively.
      4. Something visible but without substance.
      5. http://www.answers.com/idol

The cross is a symbol:

n.
      1. Something that represents something else by association, resemblance, or convention, especially a material object used to represent something invisible. See synonyms at sign.
      2. A printed or written sign used to represent an operation, element, quantity, quality, or relation, as in mathematics or music.
      3. Psychology. An object or image that an individual unconsciously uses to represent repressed thoughts, feelings, or impulses: a phallic symbol.

I think some folks don't know the difference between the two.

1. faundy
      faundy

The thing about the cross is that whilst it's nice to wear something that reminds one of Jesus (obviously if they're a Christian), why would someone wear around their necks the instrument that killed them? You wouldn't wear a noose around your neck if your best friend hung themselves, and I just think that if God exists, why would he be reminded of the tortuous death his son (am not getting into a Trinity debate) suffered and be happy about it?

I just think that sure't there's another symbol to depict Jesus than the thing he was killed on (or not, again this isn't that kind of debate).

My friend killed herself with an overdose; I wouldn't wear a pill around my neck to remember her.

Just a thought.

2. LouBelle
      LouBelle

I would permanently wear one as a tattoo - looking into various designs and for a good spot to stick it on my body. Perhaps middle back? or the lower stomach/hip area *shrug*

3. Sarah Smiles
      Sarah Smiles

Yes, because it represents a stake that Jesus died on! The cross beam was placed there by the Romans that is how they carried Jesus out to hang him up. Anyhow, I think it is okay to wear a cross, but I would never have a statue or something hanging on my wall thats freestanding! That would make it an idol!

4. Sarah Smiles
      Sarah Smiles

No it is still an idol by biblical standard whether your in or out of Jw's

Deuteronomy 5:8
      "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
      Deuteronomy 29:17
      You saw among them their detestable images and idols of wood and stone, of silver and gold.

Reiana : If you do some research you will find that an idol is an image which is a statue that is freestanding.

Webster:
      1 : a reproduction or imitation of the form of a person or thing ; especially : an imitation in solid form :statue a three-dimensional representation usually of a person, animal, or mythical being that is produced by sculpturing, modeling, or casting

Anything in heaven above? It could be angels, birds, or something you create that looks like God!

OR on the earth beneath; Humans ,trees, cat, dog, bugs, a worm, what someone might think hell looks like, or false gods.

OR in the water below; Fish, whale, or a Greek gods.

Now I want you to think about how many images you saw in your JW friends houses, parents, at bible study groups! Probably many! Or children playing with dolls.

If you do some research you will see that ancient images were nothing more than a wood and stone, of silver and gold. rock with two eye and little round bodies! People or animals.

Did you know that dolls were actual images? Sure in the ancient day dolls were created so that children would know who their false gods were! How many Jehovahs Witness allow their children to play with false gods just like the children in the bible days. Hebrew neighbors.

As a JW child I played with dolls all the time, how about YOU? it is an idol and freestanding statue. The children back in the day probably thought they were just playing with a doll like I did growing up as a JW.

One time, I went to a book study, a house owned by the Kingdom Hall, there sit a pair of doves on a book shelf. Did anyone ever consider that it was an image of something in heavens, freestanding statue. No because they did not bow down to it! That is a doctrine.

The bible does not say that you need to worship them it is a two fold command. DO NOT MAKE THEM nor BOW DOWN TO THEM!

Today we have them made for us! dolls, figurines, statues of any kind!

Thanks for the reminder, did you know in the old testament days, I forgot the names of these bracelets that the Hebrew women wore, they would have a bracelets that carried scriptures on them so people coulc enjoy reading Gods word! They also, wore God’s name on their clothing.

I would love to have a bracelet that I can place scriptures in them to go over all day long!

Also, a cross as a necklace is not a statue and therefore it is not an idol.

Well that my thoughts! Did you know that in the last days false gods will not be remembered but in the Trinity pamphlets written by the WTBTS they are spoken about and named. It is like a lesson on false gods. And there is no comparison to the Almighty God so why bother trying.

What do you think of man was created in God's image? Just a thought

5. orangefatcat
      orangefatcat

So for JW kids they can't have toys period. because by your reasoning. dolls are pagan, so stuffed animals are wrong too, because animals can't talk or laugh and cartoons that have animated characters then are wrong too, because it reveres the animal and not the creator, are you with me. Good. This is so damn stupid you guys are grabbing at straws to make your ridiculous conclusions. Buildings would be wrong to live in because if you live on the 60 th floor lets say then your as bad as those who build the tower of Babel because your reaching to high into the heavens. And cars cans become idols too, ever see some guys the way the worship their baby cars they pamper them talk to them come on.

Gee lets see music is wrong is idolizes the singer so shut the radio off throw out all those CDs and DVD's turn off the TV too your idolizing all those movie stars and starlets. You admire a beautiful women that is idolatry. You watch the way she sways her hips and body and the way she throws her hair back as to tease every man walking down the street. Maybe the Amish are on to something.. eh?

Lets get real here from crying out loud, if you want something bad enough it can become a form of idolatry. Money and greed, hedonistic living, materialism all these are self idolizing. Building up muscles that look like they are going to explode and so women will go gah gah over them and girls do and be honest we all love a good looking guy and vice versa aren't we in point of fact idolizing that person ? Yes you are. You can' t look at it any other way . This world is so full of ids and egos its pathetic. Well not that I have that off my chest I will go now and worship my Christmas Tree.

ta ta for now

love

Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit