JW wife loves Wiz of OZ...says it is not demonic in any way??

by oompa 29 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor
    I like the movie...and ya...it is a classic.... but it has always given me the creeps! how do flyin demon-like monkeys....green witches....and wizards (fake ones like the fds)...not reek of SATAN and his DEMON buddies....there are even stories about creepy things happening during the filming of the movie......... oompa

you are kidding right?? Or not? Sounds like you are easily freaked out lol. That was one of my favirite stories way back in third grade. My teacher used to read us the book before I ever saw the movie. When it came on TV I savored every moment of it. Nothing creepy about it at all....

But seriously mate if you are freaked out by that then I would suggest you get some serious professional help and I mean it as a friend. That is not normal by any means. I think wtbs has effectively gone so deep under your skin and into your way of thinking that you still interpret things around you in black and white. Your wife is right, there is NOTHING "demonic" about it. Mind you, you are not first to say these things. I remember many dubs thinking on exactly the same frequency and seeing in everything either "finger" of god or "works of demons". Life is often not black and white but full of color and incidentally way more fun.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Never had a problem with wizard of oz - it was lord of the rings, harry potter, narnia and those that we weren't supposed to watch. Oh and any vampire movies were a no no.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Like many here, I grew up with my JW mom allowing us to watch Wizard of Oz. Of course, it was on our Black & White television (never knew it had color until much later).

My mom also did not allow us to watch Bewitched (a sitcom) or any other 'demonized' shows. Go figure.

But... I've figured it out. It's only because she wanted to watch WofO that we got to see it. It reminded her of a past that she gave up when she became a JW. A past that she secretly longed for. One filled with Christmasses and Birthdays... and other holidays. Or not.

As a kiddo... I always got many of these mixed-signals - and was supposed to be able to keep them straight.

Regards,

Jim TX

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I love the Wizard of Oz...some of the best lines ever...

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarcrow:I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Glenda: Only bad witches are ugly

Wizard of Oz: “Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain.”
    lisa

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VruXnEaSKII

It's full of occult symbolism... If you believe that sort of thing.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Well, I suppose if you wanted to really work it, you could use the fact that it's all a dream after she hit her head. But the influence on youngsters who don't know better is very very bad.

I'm pretty sure it was that movie that encouraged my later experimentation with..................munchkins.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So many quotable lines! "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"....probably the most usable! To those I would add:

"I think we're not in Kansas any more." (How many of us haven't used that line?)

"I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog too!"

"Scarecrow, I think I'm going to miss you most of all."

"I can't come back! I don't know how it works."

"There is no place like home."

• halcyon
    halcyon

But the Wiz of Oz should feel so FAMILIAR to JWs .... the great big absolute world run by the fraud behind the curtain ....

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain

should be reason enough for jws to be forbidden to watch the Wizard of Oz. LOL!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Of course the Wizard of Oz is ok with the JWs..its ABOUT THEM. Everyone relying on this all powerful wizard to fulfill their every wish and desire in life and all good little JWs believe in him and take the treacherous path full of naysayers to kneel before the Governing Body in Emerald City (Brooklyn Heights) and to be sent out on useless quests (door to door) to destroy all enemies in order to receive their prizes! And even then only to be let down and betrayed by a bunch of bumbling self righteous UNpowerful men who hide behind smoke screens and booming voices and can do NOTHING AT ALL to help their weary followers!

Oh yeah...its THEM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit