JW wife loves Wiz of OZ...says it is not demonic in any way??

by oompa 29 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

I like the movie...and ya...it is a classic.... but it has always given me the creeps! how do flyin demon-like monkeys....green witches....and wizards (fake ones like the fds)...not reek of SATAN and his DEMON buddies....there are even stories about creepy things happening during the filming of the movie......... oompa

but those little singin munchkin midgets early on just freak me out....kinda like the memorial.........

• yknot
    yknot

Back when Disney was being banned by the JWs....... I distinctly remember watching OZ was boycotted as well.

I suggest you start a discussion on witches good and bad. Perhaps even dip into the way 'the wizard' lied and misled the masses in a faux utopia.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a harmless fairytale...we watched it Friday night

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I loved it too and watched it through my childhood years on TV -- fondly I remember the candied apples I would get when it aired (I guess it was a tradition with us). I also remember one day in 1978 I was over at the house of a JW family and one of the daughters came to me with a newspaper. She showed me the advertisement for "The Wiz" and said, beaming with pride: "You see this guy? His name is Michael Jackson -- and he is a Jehovah's Witness." I am sure that is the first time I heard of him.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

it really depends what how the individial JW feels about the movie, because any movie or song can be viewed any way they want it to, even Disney movies a JW can think of reason of why its demonic, if they choose to do so..

• sacolton
    sacolton

Like hell it isn't demonic!

WICKED WITCH?

EVIL SPELLS?

FLYING MONKEYS?

Jah would NOT approve!

• watson
    watson

About 15 years ago, or so, they restored the film and re released it for the big screen. It was fun seeing it the way it was intended.

• beksbks
    beksbks

OMG!!! I just logged on to post something about this!!! It's being shown on some network or other tonight, and I started watching and then busted out the DVD. Then it came to me. My mother would never let me watch anything!!! No Bewitched, No I Dream of Jeannie, No Dark Shadows.......Ok, that may be understandable as I was like 7 or 8 at the time. But I always got to watch the Wizard of Oz!!!

I'll get you my pretty! And your little dog too!!!!!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Back when Disney was being banned by the JWs....... I distinctly remember watching OZ was boycotted as well.

Yer a youngin', when I was watching Oz (not the HBO show), Disney was doing stuff like Lady and the Tramp, and The Aristocats. True, they had done Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White, but I think there was some kind of accepted charm about the really old stuff. I think that's why Oz was ok maybe. Heck I just figured this out tonight!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    but those little singin munchkin midgets early on just freak me out....kinda like the memorial.........

You're a weird little guy with a hunchback, what are you talking about?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit