Prop 8 - Petition against the tax-exempt status of the Mormons

by Devilsnok 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

What happened, you are right, this has happened numerous times before. I don't have the references you are looking for.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I agree with you, WH?

There is always an agenda. However, because this country believes in freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and freedom of choice: people vote how they WANT TO. Ultimately, the decision is up to that person standing in that voter booth.

If we start finding invididual groups responsible for voter choices, then we are ultimately defeating the purpose of our Constitution. It isn't like it was back in the Jim Crow days when you had to pay a tax to vote. Persons are free to vote now, without paying a tax, or being denied their right to vote. People fail to realize that the more we RESTRICT voting, the less people will want to vote, and the MORE our freedoms will be restricted. All this outrage is actually making our votes worth less.

The poeple in California voted strongly for prop 8. That's how they feel right now. Maybe in another twenty years, they'll feel different. It's not the government's choice, it's the people of California's choice. The people of California made that choice, not the government. Stop blaming our government, and put the blame where it belongs.

That's why churches, non-profits groups, have the right to lobby. They chose to do this. That's how they feel. As far as I remember, California is a DEMOCRACY, and the major vote wins.

CG

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Personally, I am sickened by the level to which churches and religious groups are attempting to manipulate the political process these days. This not only applies to those that support conservative causes, but also liberal ones. I do not want public policy to be influenced by the Bible, the Koran, the Upanishads, or the Buddhist Sutras, for that matter.

But, I am against stripping churches of tax exempt status. This status does have many stipulations that churches must follow. A religious organization cannot, for example contribute directly to a campaign or a candidate. Many other rules apply.

Churches do provide many benefits to society. They offer shelters for the homeless, soup kitchens, various community projects, and support groups. Churches have helped countless people to overcome addictions and to become better citizens. I, althought not religious, would not want to see those benefits threatened. Furthermore, to strip churches of tax-exempt status would be to embark down a slippery slope. This would open the door for stripping many other non-profit entities (such as the United Way) of their tax-exempt status for political purposes. That, in my opinion is not good public policy.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I find it interesting that you all are targeting the Mormon church. Have any of you seen the fact that over 70% of the African-Americans in California voted for Prop 8? CNN has it here. Instead of targeting a church that is 99% white, ie. the Mormon church, why not target the black church? You all have it wrong. Whites said no, and Asians said no to Prop 8. However, African-Americans, Latinos, and others (?) said yes to it. Why don't we see the GLBT community throwing their temper tantrums in front of First AME Church, West Angeles Church of God in Christ, or Faithful Central Bible Church?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

To me, it's fairly simple.

If they wanted same sex marriage, they would have voted it in. But they didn't. Get over it. It could change in a few years. The vote was so close that it most likely WILL change. Most likely won't be long. The fact is: this was a vote for the popular, and it just wasn't popular. I say, let the people determine what is best for their state. They vote it in

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"I find it interesting that you all are targeting the Mormon church. Have any of you seen the fact that over 70% of the African-Americans in California voted for Prop 8? CNN has it here. Instead of targeting a church that is 99% white, ie. the Mormon church, why not target the black church? You all have it wrong. Whites said no, and Asians said no to Prop 8. However, African-Americans, Latinos, and others (?) said yes to it. Why don't we see the GLBT community throwing their temper tantrums in front of First AME Church, West Angeles Church of God in Christ, or Faithful Central Bible Church?"

Because these churches weren't stupid enough to preach prop 8 from the pulpit

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Think again, this was a grassroots effort that worked together with white and black churches. Apparently it was preached from the pulpit in both black and white. The Mormon church spearheaded the effort though.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

"Because these churches weren't stupid enough to preach prop 8 from the pulpit" Evidently you did not attend an African-American church in the past four weeks.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

both of u presume

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No presumption about it, this was a grass roots effort that bridged denominational, ethnic, and political affilitations. Even many white Barack voters, voted in favor of this. But in answer to the above question, apparently the gays are now targeting blacks over this too. This gay group is one militant bunch that will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit