Prop 8 - Petition against the tax-exempt status of the Mormons

by Devilsnok 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

I see no reason why any organised religion should be exempt from paying their due taxes. Here's a chance to rob the mormon church of their tax exempt status...

Please visit http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/review-the-501c3-status-of-the-church-of-latter-day-saints-the-mormons and sign it and pass it on to your friends.

The LDS church contributed a significant amount of money and effort to endorse PROP 8 in California via its network of church, media, and community outlets enshrining discrimination under the law for thousands of Californians and their families.

"In general, no organization, including a church, may qualify for IRC section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying)."

See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This is one case where I fully back the Mormon Church. Also if you strip their tax exempt status, then you must also strip the gay churches status too for opposing proposition 8.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah but all that money goes to God....you can't TAX JEHOVAH!......but Mormons yeah they should pay tax the scum bags.

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

I say strip all churches of tax exemption, doesn't matter to me if they are gay or straight churches, im not a bigot.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

There would be too many different consequences if you stripped all of the churches. I say different because it could turn out negative or positive depending on your views.

The tax exempt status is one of the only things that prevent churches from saying what they really want. If you think American churches are too poitical now, just think what they would be if the last remaining barrier was removed, it would be a free for all.

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

Then following your argument the mormon church over stepped that line, it spoke out and now needs a good whooping in order to make an example for the rest of the churches.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No, their tax exempt status probably hindered them from saying and doing even more.

• Mary
    Mary
    I say strip all churches of tax exemption, doesn't matter to me if they are gay or straight churches, im not a bigot.

I agree. And lets face it: I think we'd all love to see the day when the Craptower Society was forced to open their books and pay taxes.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I would love to see the Watchtower pay enough taxes to bankrupt them.

But for those that want less religion in government, removing the tax exempt status would open up a can of worms like you haven't seen.

• yknot
    yknot
    if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation

Can you provide links showing other instances of the LDS engaging in this activity or is this the only one?

Thanks .....Yknot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit