Strange Phenomenom's? How do we explain them if one is agnostic?

by QuestioningEverything 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

There are many variables in human psychology, two which are fear and imagination, throw in drugs in to this formula and

your more than likely to create a psychological malfunction of sorts.

As one recent poster said he saw very strange and weird things occur when doing drugs and looking at the cover of the Truth book.

Interesting is it not that the old wording for any kind of alcoholic beverage was called spirits........ummm ? ( just a side note )

When a person is not healthy psychologically speaking, strange phenomenas will occur because comprehension is weak and out of focus.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

1. An agnostic is a person too weenie to make a choice to believe or not believe. Do you believe in the tooth fairy/santa? Hell no, how silly? God and the tooth fairy/santa are on equal footing. Prove to me the tooth fairy does not exist please. An atheist says: "No, I cannot prove the tooth fairy/god doesnt exist. I cannot prove they do exist. Therefore I do not believe in them until such time as they are proven to exist." Simple huh?

2. 200 years ago if you had shown someone a lighted fluorescent bulb. They'd have thought you some great mystic, perhaps a witch. Now we know better.

• seven006
    seven006

To the human mind the power of suggestion is the tie that bonds their conceived fantasy to their perceived reality. If a person first sets their mind up to the “possibility” of unexplained phenomena in a specific environment, then it increases their memory recall to fill in the blanks and convince themselves that something “spooky” is happening or going to happen.

That is why so called “hunted houses” do not advertise themselves as petting zoos. If you walk into an environment that “is said” to be haunted, your mind sets itself up and prepares to be scared. Then every little board creaking sound or light reflection becomes a ghost in your mind. Your mind just fills in the quiet spaces of reality with what you have prepared yourself to see and hear and then swear to it that it was real.

I have seen people who have had a very strong mental suggestion that they are going to take a bite of a juicy apple, bite into it and explain to everyone around them how sweet and juicy it is, when in reality they are actually taking a bite of an onion. With proper and specific mental suggestion or programming a person can and will believe anything.

As exJW’s we have all experienced just that. The human mind is an incredible thing to play with, especially when you know what buttons to push.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

An agnostic is one who doesnt know and is open to any possiblitie.

An agnostic has an open mind.

All of the other descriptions describe closed and made up minds.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

An agnostic is one who doesnt know and is open to any possiblitie.

An agnostic has an open mind.

All of the other descriptions describe closed and made up minds.

Incorrect.

I dont know for sure but I believe not. This is different from I dont know so I wont believe either way. I am completely open minded to being proved wrong even about the toothfairy. Until then it seems silly to believe in the toothfairy. Or the god. Or Bigfoot. Or Allah. Or Ahura Mazda. Or ghosts.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is interesting to observe that what was once described as strange phenomenom is now explained as curable through drugs, such as with schizophrenia. Also, strange phenomena can be induced through hallucenogenic drugs. There is no conclusive evidence that these phenomenom are from a spirit world. I have seen studies of psychics predicting coin throws etc. There is sometimes a very minor increase of psychics to make correct calls. You would think if spirits were involved it would be 100%, not in region of low 50's.

That is not to say that Spirits are not involved, but rather that Science has not yet devised ways to measure it, hence why people are Agnostic - undecided.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I talk to the spirits all the time, a matter fact I've got C.T. Russell on my speed dial , but I'm an atheist ......go figure

• inkling
    inkling
    he has not been 100% honest with his challenge. He doesn't make the rules as scientific and transparent as you would think.

Could you explain what you mean? Specifics?

[ink]

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Often, science will do the job nicely. Very often, thermodynamics, air currents and clouds, refraction and optics, and simple study of how the brain works will answer these questions much better than any religion.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

"Miracles" = confirmation bias.

Supernatural encounters = mental disorders, drugs, or simply confusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit