Prince turns his back on Raunchy Routines

by Dogpatch 26 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

I seriously miss Prince and I hate that the Dubs got him.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Wasn't he always a JW, sort of like the Williams Sisters or the Jacksons?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think he needs a theocratic haircut...like Ben's

• Gopher
    Gopher

No Prince wasn't a JW during his childhood like the Jacksons (for example) were.

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia entry on Prince:

In 1997, Prince approached funk bassist Larry Graham, one of his childhood idols, with questions about his [Graham's] Jehovah's Witness faith. In a later interview, Graham stated that Prince was in need of Biblical answers and advice and that Graham was glad to answer. Prince apparently became very interested in the religion: around this time he began censoring some of his more provocative song lyrics in concerts, as well as editing various religious references in his songs that he had come to believe were Biblically inaccurate. [citation needed] He was baptized by Jehovah's Witnesses in 2001, marking his formal conversion to the faith. It was also at this time that he also released the album The Rainbow Children, which relied heavily upon Jehovah's Witness religious themes.

The insertion of Graham's was mine.

I recently watched a couple live Prince tracks on the local cable and was disgusted by Prince's effort to "count his time" while singing Purple Rain, replete with references to "everlasting life," etc.

I wanted to vomit. The crown in attendance looked like a bunch of dubs. He is an incredibly talented musician who is no longer worthy of listening to. Sad.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is truly vomit-worthy.

I think one of the most sickening aspects of all this is the way the JWs make special provisions for their celebrity members. Any garage-band rocker amount normal JW kids would probably get reproved just for the hair style and being in a garage band instead of pioneering.

Double standard rubbed in nose of all normal Dubs, and apparantly they are eating it all up.

• Mary
    Mary

PrinceHe'll never be able to handle the microphones or the Literature Counter with hair that long.

• minimus
    minimus

That squigly thing's a phallus?

• undercover
    undercover
    I think one of the most sickening aspects of all this is the way the JWs make special provisions for their celebrity members. Any garage-band rocker amount normal JW kids would probably get reproved just for the hair style and being in a garage band instead of pioneering.

I knew some JWs who formed a classic rock cover band and were playing in area bars and taverns. They even got to go on live TV on a cable access channel (envision Wayne's World).

Some dubbies got their panties in a wad and complained to the elders who talked to the CO who told the elders to pull the plug. All the members were counseled for playing debasing music, worldly associations and emulating worldly fashions.

It didn't bother me at the time...they weren't that good and I was sick of hearing Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles, some of the more covered bands of the time.

• sf
    sf
    Jehovah's Witness advocate has also contributed to his decision. Givingcredit to the bible, which he often reads, Prince furthermore remarked "that's another way faith has changed me."

LOL! A real knee-slapper.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit