Beards its OK guys wear them, goodness sake

by Shane 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The Society does not forbid beards, but leaves it up to the local congregation as to what sort of 'priveleges' a brother who has one should recieve in view of the local perception of brothers who wear beards.

At the same time, they SAY they are permissible, but in actual practice MOST witnesses in MOST parts of the world will treat you as WEAK in view of all the ANTI-BEARD propaganda the Society has written in the past.

In most parts of the world, no matter how lenient your local elders may be with this matter, you will NOT be allowed to give any circuit or district parts, and likely Bethel requires no beards as well.

While I personally have no desire to have a beard myself, I find the subject the epitome of pharasaical man-made unwritten rules and utter hypocrisy considering shaving is a pagan practice and we all know how anal the society is about everything "pagan".

Path

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The society does not forbid beards, they just don't approve of them. So, they baisically forbid beards, unless you seek approval. Which they won't give you approval to wear a beard, so keep shaving and putting first the Society.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• josephus
    josephus

i beg to differ.

the very last circuit assembly i went to, about one and a half years ago.

A bearded brother gave a talk.

it was northern ireland by the way

allthough at the same time i was critisised for having one!!

it just goes to show.

regards

josephus

• jayhawk
    jayhawk

I think the beard thing comes down to who you are related to. If you have a father in good standing, you can get away with anything considered taboo.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

My apologies, Northern Ireland is like the only exception to the rule. "Wouldn't want to be mistaken for being gay" so it is allowed there. Even in places where beards are acceptable like india, the brothers shave, the one exception (that I know of) being Ireland.

Path

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

When the "Brothers" come to my house and apologize to me for being wrong, then I will believe you. Until then, the society discourages beards.

• ladonna
    ladonna

My Father wears a moustache and is an active JW. What is the real difference? Or is a moustache allowed and a beard frowned upon. I can remember my brother in law being made to remove his beard by the elders. I was only 14 at the time so the details are hazy.

Ana

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hey,
    I'm restraining myself. You dont want to get me going on the beard issue.

Pathofthorns summarized the official stand perfectly. But when the letter comes in from the society with all those reasons a beard can cause problems in the congregation almost any body of elders will follow up with a no beard policy for their congregation.

I had a beard as an elder on two different occasions in the past 23 years. The last time, recent, I met with much more intolerance then 23 years ago. This is in the States. Just another proof the org has gone the wrong direction in the last two decades.

Maybe soon I'll tell my 'beard' stories.

Jst2laws

• ladonna
    ladonna

Come on, please tell the beard stories
    Ana

• ChimpGirl
    ChimpGirl

No it bloody isn't ok. My husband's got one. It tickles. It gets bits of food caught in it. And it smells kinda greasy. Does hide his spare chins though :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit