What was your first Computer?

by The Lone Ranger 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I had a Commodore 64 and an Amiga - don't remember which one I got first. This was back in the early to mid 80s.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Wow. It was an Atari 400 back in something like 1983, I think.

• golf2
    golf2

Imagine having the computers back in the early 50's? Wow, what would this generation be like today? Hey, I we had a TV in 1952!

Golf

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

1st one was just a toy: Commodore 128 with external 5.25 floppy and Commodore printer (which, interestingly, wouldn't work with the computer very well).
    The 2nd one I still remember the specs on.
    386DX-40 (AMD made the 40MHz for Intel at the time)
    4MB of RAM that I upgraded to 8
    Tseng Labs 4000 graphics card with a whopping 1MB of RAM
    130MB Maxtor hard drive
    15" non-interlaced monitor
    8 bit Sound Blaster card
    Shipped with DOS 3.0, but no disks.
    One of the first things I did was fdisk the drive, thereby turning it into a brick since I didn't have an OS to put back on.
    Since I was out of options, I had to talk the local computer shop into selling me a copy of DOS 5 (it wasn't suppossed to be sold without a system, I guess).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Timex Sinclair ZX-81 with an awesome 1K of memory.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I forgot about Atari. I had one of those too - I have been nuts about computers for years. I remember one of my computers had something like Windows. So when Windows came out, I wondered what all the fuss was.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I got in late. a 286 full AT MB 16mhz with 4 meg of ram

When I first got into the repair business we were repairing 12" removable media 10megabyte hd's. It was about the size of a dishwasher

• still_in74
    still_in74

commodore 64

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, it wasn't mine but I was bookkeeper for a medical supply company in Santa Barbara from '65 to '71. Once a month I would take several boxes of punched cards to The Santa Barbara Medical clinic who contracted computing work from a lot of businesses in town. They had an IBM computor that took up a whole room. Within a day or so we would get back a continuous sheet of data on everything from inventory, accounts receivable and payable.

We did this for less than two years and the boss didn't like it (lots of errors) so I went back to a Hadley peg board system and hand posted a couple hundred invoices a day with a hand cranked calculator. Used up a BIC fine point pen every two days.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My first Computer was back in 1981, a Sinclair ZX81, it has 1k of memory. Ah yes - that was my first too

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit