How to Install Windows Vista in Two Minutes

by brinjen 13 Replies latest social humour

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

When I upgraded my desktop PC to Vista when it first came out, the only incompatibilities were with my HP scanner, and McAfee AntiVirus. I moved the scanner to my older PC and just ditched the Antivirus software altogether. (Most viruses are installed by unsavvy people clicking dodgy links, and not having the latest security patches.) Other software that I wanted to keep running on the Vista PC (like the software for connecting to my Navman), I just run in an XP virtual machine on the Vista PC.

My new laptop came pre-installed with Vista, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

No manual turn off? There's a shut down option clearly on it. People who don't know about OS's or haven't spent time with it shouldn't make dumb comments like this. I have installed Vista 64 bit on my system, and its very stable and no problems. Of course if you are trying to run old software or hardware invented in the 1920, then don't expect it to work with Vista.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Vista...

My Vic 20 loves it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

With today's memory, it is stupid to run Vista with anything less than 2 GB of memory. If you have less, chances are you are going to run into a lot of compatibility issues and speed problems. Better, get a machine with 4 GB of RAM. They are not really all that much more expensive than 2 GB, and you will have that much more performance out of it.

What is really stupid is when you put Vista into a machine with 512 MB or less of memory and expect it to perform. The operating system is not meant to work well with less than 1 GB of RAM, and trying will lead to lots of freeze-ups and incompatibility. If you have 1 GB or less, you are better off sticking with XP until you can upgrade the memory to at least 2 GB.

If you are thinking of getting a new computer (which usually has Vista already installed), I would suggest getting at least 4 GB of RAM. If you do that, you will have much less trouble with it than if you get less. They are not really all that much more expensive than computers with only 2 GB (which were the top of the line a couple of years ago). You can get machines with as much as 6 GB at Best Buy and Circuit City for the $1,000 price range these days. Obviously, the more RAM you can afford, the more programs you can have open at a time and have the machine still operate.

And don't forget the hard drive. If you like music on your computer, at least 250 GB is recommended (and more is better). If you put lots of movies on it, I would invest in at least 750 GB (or a 1 TB external hard drive) for the movies. If all you do, however, is log onto these apostate forums and check your can of spam, anything will do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit