Are there any Americans who moved to Australia here?

by Lady Zombie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Or does anyone know someone who has moved from America to Australia that I could get in touch with?

I'm wondering how difficult a move would be, how much $$ it takes, etc.

I know the Australian government won't consider granting immigration unless the candidate has job skills and/or education. This is not a problem.

I'm just curious as to the practical aspects of it.

• Rooster
    Rooster

Good luck on that. Check on-line maybe Google..

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

It never occurred to me to use Google.

• blondie
  • Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Yup, I've already been all over those sites.

• blondie
    blondie

I would try contacting someone in the government in Australia and see what brochures they can send and what practical tips they can give. Being a government employee myself, I know that the information is best that comes from the most direct source.

Blondie

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I'm probably going to have to make a trip to Chicago. That's the closest embassy to me here in Kansas City.

I was just hoping that I can find someone who has actually made the move and can speak about their experience.

• noontide
    noontide

A co-worker of mine did this, but the only reason the Australian government allowed it was because of his education, background and work experience (hospitality). Even then, they only granted him a 1-year work visa, which meant that he would have to move back to the states after 1 year. The way he got around this was that he met someone and got married! Unfortunately after a few years, his wife decided she would rather live in the States and they moved back. The moral of the story is; if you are single, marry an Australian. Other than this it is quite difficult.

I’ve looked into this myself as I have often thought it would be an amazing place to work and live in, but so do a lot of other people! Perhaps looking into a temporary work visa might be the way to go.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    The moral of the story is; if you are single, marry an Australian

LOL, there you have it Lady, find a hot aussie and marry him. Hey, ask if he has a brother while you're at it.

Gotta love those accents.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a young witness back in the 60's and 70's, I dreamed about moving to Australia.

I always heard you had to have an education, something to offer, to get into Australia from the US. That left me as a witness out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit