Marriage Is Just a Business

by Preston 24 Replies latest social relationships

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    The thing to do is form a personal corporation, then use that to marry. A corp limits your liability.

Ha ha!

That is how I now view marriage-as a business-and why I see no reason to do it. I understand that people view it differently.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    He claimed he got cold feet after learning she had even more debt

Looks like she did not disclose all the facts in the first place.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

(Civil) Marriage is a contract. It is not the only contract that may exist, however. A promise of marriage can be a contract.

Gifts given in contemplation of marriage sometimes are lost upon breach of the promise, and sometimes must be returned/reimbursed, depending on the state.

Verbal contracts are just as enfroceable as written contracts - they are just often harder to prove.

While courts are often disinclined to settle matters between seperating non-married people, the issue is far from universal and there have been famous court cases dealing with property following the split of non-married people. Some states/provinces recognize common law marriage/ de facto relationships (marriage without formal license, recording, ceremony, etc.) which might lead certain people to believe they are or are not legally married.

Civil marriage always has been a mechanism to administer property and other legalities.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

^ Exactly!

• yknot
    yknot
    Does all of this prove that marriage is strictly a business?

No, but it does show that passions run high in personal relationships.... and it speaks more to her then emotional state and maturity.

Isn't this similar in many ways to Bonafide situation or the trials Mr.Flipper endured?

...This said, after planning the 3rd wedding (we both have some commitment/independence issues) to my now husband....I did have a banner made and hung from the large oak in front of the church we were married...... and it read.....

"TODAY....a Hitchin' or a Hangin'... all WELCOMED!"

....majority of marriages are relationship based on desire, love and hope.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit