Marriage Is Just a Business

by Preston 24 Replies latest social relationships

• Preston
    Preston

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5442819

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25846393/

I read the above articles this morning regarding a guy who was ordered by a court to pay his ex-fiance $150,000 for backing out of a marriage. The interesting thing is that the woman's attorney initiated the case on breach of contract... no contract was signed. If you own a corporation and someone sues you, they can't go after your personal assets, they can only go after the corporation, but in a marriage your personal finances are sometimes segregated in the event the marriage is disolved. Does all of this prove that marriage is strictly a business?

- Preston

• Satanus
    Satanus

You got it, man. The thing to do is form a personal corporation, then use that to marry. A corp limits your liability.

S

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Well, it's not exactly THAT simple.

"She found a new job, taking a pay cut. Her salary went from $81,000 a year, plus a 15 percent bonus, to $31,000 a year." She made that decision based on a verbal contract.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

what ever happened to risks, or be responsible for your own actions?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sounds like they are making the dude responsible for his own actions.

• Preston
    Preston

Well, it's not exactly THAT simple.

"She found a new job, taking a pay cut. Her salary went from $81,000 a year, plus a 15 percent bonus, to $31,000 a year." She made that decision based on a verbal contract.

One of the articles also says:

Gibbs testified that he took Shell on several skiing trips during their renewed partnership, made house payments for her, and gave her $30,000 to pay off some of her credit-card debt. He claimed he got cold feet after learning she had even more debt.

And she was never forced to quit her job. It looks like he was more than generous in their relationship. - Preston

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Maybe I should start suing all the women who dumped me. It would be like winning a lottery.

W

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Still, his actions showed that he was going to take care of her. He probably made that verbal promise, too. It's the same with marriages. If the man tells the women he'll take care of her and they divorce, he might be stuck with long, short, or lump sum alimony. Same for women. I see it every day.

• Priest73
    Priest73

that precedent could make "yes I'll respect you in the morning" very expensive.

• Preston
    Preston

Maybe I should start suing all the women who dumped me. It would be like winning a lottery.

W

Could be, Who was that runaway chick? the one with the googly eyes.... she never had to compensate her husband for standing him up. She did have to compensate the law enforcement that was looking for her though. - Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit