Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 08-03-08 WT Study (PROGRESS)

by blondie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 08-03-08 WT Study (May 15, 2008, pages 21-25 (SPIRITUAL PROGRESS)Review comments will be in redWT material from today's WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes
    w = Watchtower
    g = Awake
    jv = Proclaimers book

Bible translations www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible
    WT publications www.strictlygenteel.co.uk
    WT child abuse www.silentlambs.org
    Blood issue www.ajwrb.org
    United Nations http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm

MAKE SPIRITUAL PROGRESS BY FOLLOWING PAUL'S EXAMPLE

"I have fought the fine fight, I have run the course to the finish, I have observed the faith."-2 TIM. 4:7.

OPENING COMMENTS

I have been posting the WT study article for some time. When I started I was still "in." For awhile I stopped while someone else posted the information but then changed it to a different format. I received several pms asking me to post the actual article again. I was surprised how many still wanted to know what their family and friends were being exposed to each week. Now instead of the WT way, each of us have a choice to read or not read the material. I appreciate the assistance of some on this board who provide the scans, taking time out of their schedule. Does this bring people out of the WTS? I can't say to numbers but I have met people who printed out these articles and the comments to take with them to the meeting and eventually to stop going altogether. Most people who come to JWD have already taken steps to leave the WTS mentally if not yet physically. I have no illusions about the small thing I do here. Do not I spend a great deal of time on this, really. I have said many times in the past that the WTS is damned by its own words. Little I say can be as convincing.

This week the WTS focuses on a man whose hope for a future was to rule in heaven with Jesus Christ. How much can the almost 7 million non-anointed identify with that hope?

START OF ARTICLE

Q 1, 2. What changes did Saul of Tarsus make in his life, and what important work did he take up?

THE man was intelligent and decisive. However, he 'conducted himself in harmony with the desires of his flesh.' (Eph. 2:3) He later described himself as "a blasphemer and a persecutor and an insolent man." (1 Tim. 1:13) That man was Saul of Tarsus.

Yes, Saul had the equivalent of a university education but it had not led him to accept Jesus as the Christ proving in the WTS eyes that such an education is not beneficial.

What does the WTS was responsible for his change?

*** w59 6/1 p. 345 The Resurrection Hope ***Likewise, only the resurrection of Jesus and his meeting Saul of Tarsus face to face accounts for that highly educated, fanatically persecuting Pharisee’s becoming the Christian Paul.

Is it likely that each person will have the opportunity of meeting Jesus "face to face" to convert them?

2. In time, Saul made radical changes in his life. He put off his former ways and worked hard 'not to be seeking his own advantage but that of the many.' (1 Cor. 10:33) He became gentle and showed tender affection for those who would have been victims of his animosity. (Read 1 Thessalonians 2:7, 8.) " I became a minister" he wrote, adding: "To me, a man less than the least of all holy ones, this undeserved kindness was given, that I should declare to the nations the good news about the unfathomable riches of the Christ."-Eph. 3:7, 8.

Does the WTS reflect a similar gentleness or tender affection?

*** w61 7/15 p. 420 A Time and Place for Everything ***

Jesus encouraged his followers to love their enemies, but God’s Word also says to “hate what is bad.” When a person persists in a way of badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of his make-up, then in order to hate what is bad a Christian must hate the person with whom the badness is inseparably linked. Indicating that Jesus did not mean for us to love the hardened enemies of Jehovah, David expressed this God-approved attitude: “Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies.”—Matt. 5:44; Amos 5:15; Ps. 139:21, 22.

Q 3. In "what way can studying Paul's letters and the record of his ministry help us?

3. Saul, who was also known as Paul, made outstanding spiritual progress. (Acts 13:9) One sure way to accelerate our personal advancement in the truth is by studying Paul's letters and the record of his ministry and then imitating his example of faith. (Read 1 Corinthians 11:1; Hebrews 13:7.) Let us see how doing so will motivate us to develop a good routine of personal study, to cultivate genuine love for people, and to have a proper view of ourselves.

Can a jw study the Bible without the WTS publications and "accelerate [their] personal advancement?

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah’s visible organization in mind." (The Watchtower, October 1, 1967, page 587)
    "Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his "faithful and discreet slave," made up of spirit anointed ones, to help Christians in all nations to understand and apply properly the Bible in their lives. Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do." (The Watchtower, December 1, 1981, page 27)
    "We have the opportunity to show love for our brothers who take the lead in the congregation or in connection with Jehovah’s visible organization worldwide. This includes being loyal to "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45-47) Let us face the fact that no matter how much Bible reading we have done, we would never have learned the truth on our own." (The Watchtower, December 1, 1990, page 19)
    "All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave." (The Watchtower, October 1, 1994, page 8)

Paul's Routine of Study

Q 4, 5. How did personal study benefit Paul?

4. As a Pharisee who had been educated" at the feet of Gamaliel, instructed according to the strictness of the ancestral Law," Paul already had some knowledge of the Scriptures. (Acts 22:1-3; Phil. 3:4-6) Right after his baptism, he "went off into Arabia" --either the Syrian Desert or possibly some quiet place on the Arabian Peninsula that was conducive to meditation. (Gal. 1:17) Paul apparently wanted to reflect upon the scriptures that proved that Jesus was the Messiah. Moreover, Paul wanted to prepare for the work that lay ahead of him. (Read Acts 9:15,16,20,22.) Paul took time to meditate on spiritual things.

Did Paul have only "some" knowledge?

*** w56 5/1 p. 275 par. 6 Accurate Knowledge to Please Jehovah ***

But why should Saul, a Pharisee and no doubt well acquainted with the Hebrew Scriptures, which the Christians also accepted and believed in their entirety, so violently oppose the ones holding the Christian faith?possibly...apparently--notice how the WTS can even read the mind and heart of Paul 2,000 years in the past. The Scriptural knowledge and insight that Paul acquired from personal study enabled him to teach the truth effectively. For example, at the synagogue at Antioch in Pisidia, Paul used at least five direct quotations from the Hebrew Scriptures to prove that Jesus was the Messiah. Paul also referred to the holy writings several times. His Biblical arguments were so persuasive that" many of the Jews and of the proselytes who worshiped God followed Paul and Barnabas" in order to learn more. (Acts 13:14-44) When a group of Roman Jews came to him in his lodging place years later, Paul explained matters to them "by bearing thorough witness concerning the kingdom of God and by using persuasion with them concerning Jesus from both the law of '"Moses and the Prophets." -Acts 28:17, 22, 23.

So what WTS publications did Paul have to use in his "personal study"?

"Paul referred to the holy writings" not WTS publications.

Q 6. What helped Paul to remain spiritually strong when facing trials?

6. When facing trials, Paul continued to examine the Scriptures and derive strength from their inspired message. (Heb. 4:12) While imprisoned in Rome before his execution, Paul asked Timothy to bring him "the scrolls" and "the parchments." (2 Tim. 4:13) Those documents were likely portions of the Hebrew Scriptures that Paul used in his in depth dtudy. Acquiring knowledge of the Scriptures by having a routine of Bible study was essential to Paul so that he could remain steadfast.

"Paul contined to examine the Scriptures" not WTS publications.

Were "the scrolls and the parchments" the latest WTS publications? Was Paul's knowledge of the Scriptures deficient without them?

Q 7. Cite the benefits you can gain from regular Bible study.

7. Regular study of the Bible, accompanied by purposeful meditation, will help us to progress spiritually. (Heb. 5:12-14) Regarding the value of God's Word, the psalmist sang: "The law of "our mouth is good for me, more so than thousands of pieces of gold and silver. Wiser than my enemies your commandment makes me. because to time indefinite it is mine. From every bad path I have restrained my feet. for the purpose that I may keep ''Our word." (Ps. 119:72, 98, 101) Do you have a routine of personal Bible study? Are you preparing for future assignments in God's service by reading the Bible daily and reflecting upon what you read?

"Regular study of the Bible" not WTS publications.

jw "routine of personal Bible study"

Read day's text every day
    Read part of weekly Bible reading each day
    Monday night, study WT publication for Tuesday
    Wednesday night study WT publication for Thursday
    Friday night, prepare for field circus Saturday morning (read magazines, ha)
    Saturday, prepare for WT study on Sunday

Saul Learned to Love People

Q 8. How did Saul treat those outside of Judaism?

8. Before becoming a Christian, Saul had been zealous for his religion, but he had little concern for people outside of Judaism. (Acts 26:,t, S) He watched with approval as some Jews stoned Stephen. Saul must have been emboldened by what he saw, perhaps viewing Stephen's execution as deserved punishment. (Acts 6:8-14; 7:54-8:1) The inspired account relates: "Saul ... began to deal outrageously with the congregation. Invading one house after another and, dragging out both men and women, he would turn them over to prison." (Acts 8:3) He "went so far as to persecuting them even in outside cities." -Acts 26:11.

Why was Paul only known as a Christian and not "one of Jehovah's Witnesses"?

Was Stephen "outside of Judaism"?

Don't jws believe that all people who die at Armageddon, men, women, and children, are deserving of everlasting destruction even if they had not been witnessed to individually?

*** w89 9/1 p. 19 par. 7 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the “great crowd,” as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the “flesh” that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history.

*** w00 1/15 p. 13 par. 17 “Keep on the Watch” ***

True, untouched territories still exist, and it may be that in Jehovah’s due time, a large door leading to greater activity will open. (1 Corinthians 16:9) Nevertheless, the Bible does not state that Jehovah will wait until every individual on earth has received a personal witness. Rather, the good news must be preached to Jehovah’s satisfaction. Then the end will come.—Compare Matthew 10:23.

Q 9. What experience caused Saul to reexamine the way he treated people?

9. When the Lord Jesus appeared to him, Saul was on his way to Damascus to harass Christ's disciples there. The supernatural brilliance of the Son of God left Saul blind and dependent on others. By the time thatJehovah used Ananias to restore Saul's sight, Saul's attitude toward people had changed forever. (Acts 9:1-30) Upon becoming a follower of Christ, he worked hard to deal with all people as Jesus did. This meant putting off violence and being "peaceable with all men."-Read Romans 12:17-21.

Notice Paul became a follower of Christ, not a "Jehovah's Witness."

Q 10, 11. How did Paul display genuine love for people?

10 Paul was not content with just being at peace with others. He wanted to show them genuine love, and the Christian ministry gave him that opportunity. On his first missionary tour, he preached the good news in Asia Minor. Despite fierce opposition, Paul and his associates concentrated on helping meek ones to embrace Christianity. They revisited Lystra and Iconium, even though opposers in those cities had tried to kill Paul. -Acts 13:1-3; 14:1-7, 19-23.

So Paul was not just content to show a reasoned love..........or do some do this?

*** w88 10/1 p. 11 par. 6 Appreciation for Our Brothers ***

On the pretext that the Scriptures allow for our having warmer feelings for some brothers than for others, are we inclined to rationalize our feelings? (John 19:26; 20:2) Do we think we can express a cold, reasoned “love” to some because we have to, while we reserve warm brotherly affection for those to whom we are attracted? If so, we have missed the point of Peter’s exhortation. We have not sufficiently purified our souls by our obedience to the truth, for Peter says: “Now that by obedience to the truth you have purified your souls until you feel sincere affection towards your brother Christians, love one another whole-heartedly with all your strength.”—1 Peter 1:22, The New English Bible.

11. Later, Paul and his group searched for rightly inclined people in the Macedonian city of Philippi. A Jewish proselyte named Lydia listened to the good news and became a Christian. The civil authorities beat Paul and Silas with rods and threw them into prison. However, Paul preached to the jailer, with the result that he and his family were baptized as worshippers of Jehovah.-Acts 16:11-34.

"rightly inclined" or in other words "deserving" in the opinion of jws.

When Paul preached to the jailer, did he take 6 months or was it overnight. I wonder if he studied any WT publications with him.

Q 12. What motivated insolent Saul to become a loving apostle of Jesus Christ?

12. Why did the onetime persecutor Saul embrace the faith of his victims? What motivated that insolent man to become the kind and loving apostle who was willing to risk his life so that others could learn the truth about God and Christ? Paul himself explains: "God, who ... called me through his undeserved kindness, thought good to reveal his Son in connection with me." (Gal. 1:15, 16) To Timothy, Paul wrote: "( was shown mercy [so] that by means of me as the foremost case Christ Jesus might demonstrate all his long-suffering for a sample of those who are going to rest their faith on him for everlasting life." (1 Tim. 1:16) Jehovah forgave Paul, and receiving such undeserved kindness and mercy moved him to show love to others by preaching the good news to them.

Why aren't there apostles today in the WTS? There obviously were more than 12 in the first century.

Note that the WTS defines showing love as "preaching the good news" and does so throughout this article. No mention of any practical help.

How then does a jw show love to another jw since they are already converted?

Q 13. What should move us to show love to others, and how can we do so?

13. Jehovah likewise forgives our sins and mistakes. (Ps. 103:8-14) "If errors were what you watch, O Jah, O Jehovah, who could stand?" asked the psalmist. (Ps. 130:3) Without God's mercy, none of us would have the joy of sacred service, nor could we look forward to receiving everlasting life. God's undeserved kindness has been great toward all of us. Like Paul, therefore, we should desire to extend love to others by preaching to them and teaching them the truth and by strengthening our fellow believers.-Read Acts 14:21-23.

But can a jw be considered forgiven by God without the elders determining repentance?

*** w92 9/15 p. 12 par. 19 Jehovah Forgives in a Large Way ***

To be forgiven and reinstated, however, he must humbly obey God’s laws, produce fruits befitting repentance, and apply to the elders for reinstatement.

*** w88 9/15 p. 30 Christians—Firm yet Flexible ***

Similarly, elders should delight in ‘forgiving in a large way’ where there is clear evidence of true repentance.—Isaiah 55:7.

"extend love to others by preaching to them" again love = preaching.

CARROT: receiving everlasting life

fellow believers = only jws

Q 14. How may we be able to expand our ministry?

14. Paul wanted to progress as a minister of the good news, and Jesus' example touched his heart. Among the ways the Son of God showed incomparable love for people was by means of his public ministry. Jesus said: "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. Therefore, beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest." (Matt. 9:35-38) Paul acted in harmony with any request he might have made for more workers by becoming a zealous worker. What about you? Can you improve the quality of your ministry? Or can you increase the share you are having in the Kingdom-preaching work, perhaps even making room in your life for pioneer service? Let us show genuine love toward others by helping them to gain "a tight grip on the word of life."-Phil. 2:16.

"showed incomparable love for people" = public ministry

How many jws are "zealous"? Do they really want to "improve the quality" or "increase the share"? After all, one hour a month, no publications, no return visits, and no bible studies still gets you everlasting life on a paradise earth.

"show genuine love toward others" = gain life

Paul's View of Himself

Q 15. How did Paul view himself in relation to his fellow Christians?

15. As a Christian minister, Paul set an outstanding example for us in yet another way. Although he received many privileges in the Christian congregation, Paul was well-aware that he did not earn those blessings and that they were not due him because of his abilities. He realized that the blessings he experienced were expressions of God's undeserved kindness. Paul recognized that other Christians were also effective ministers of the good news. Despite his standing among God's people, he remained humble.-Read 1 Corinthians 15:9-11.

Did Paul view himself as a "Jehovah's Witness"?

Privileges not earned, no green handshakes.

What standing did Paul have or privileges, wasn't he a "good-for-nothing slave" as Jesus said?

(Luke 17:10) . . .So YOU, also, when YOU have done all the things assigned to YOU, say, ‘We are good-for-nothing slaves. What we have done is what we ought to have done.’”

Q 16. How did Paul show humility and modesty in connection with the issue of circumcision?

16. Consider how Paul handled a problem that arose in the Syrian city of Antioch. The Christian congregation there was split over the issue of circumcision. (Acts 14:26-15:2) Since Paul had been appointed to take the lead in preaching to the uncircumcised Gentiles, he might have thought of himself as an expert in dealing with non-Jews and therefore well-qualified to resolve the problem. (Read Galatians 2:8,9.) When his efforts did not seem to clear up the issue, however, "'with humility and modesty, he went along with arrangements to approach the governing body in Jerusalem to discuss the matter. He cooperated fully as its members listened to the matter, reached a decision, and assigned him to be one of their messengers. (Acts 15:22-31) Thus Paul 'took the lead in showing honor' to his fellow servants. -Rom. 12:10b.

might have...seem = a WT technique to add to and expand the bible's account.

Did Paul go down to Jerusalem for other problems or did he handle them himself?

1 Corinthians 5 - "disfellowshipping"
    Reproving Peter for not associating with the Gentile Christians
    2 Timothy - rebuking Christians who were teaching that the resurrection had already occurred

Q 17. 18. (a) What feeling did Paul develop toward those in the congregations? (b) What does the reaction of the Ephesian elders to Paul's departure teach us about him?

17. Humble Paul did not distance himself from his brothers and sisters in the congregations. Rather, he became attached to them. At the end of his letter to the Romans, he greeted over 20 people by name. Most of them are not mentioned anywhere else in the Scriptures, and few had special privileges. But they were loyal servants of Jehovah, and Paul loved them dearly.-Rom. 16: 1-16.

How many were approached by the CO and his wife or the DO and his wife? How many were talked to by the elders except to "correct" some failing. If only the elders were as outgoing on all the other 364 days as at the memorial.

"few had special privileges" = all the women for sure. Being of the anointed while a female on earth was not a privilege.

18. Paul's humble and friendly manner built up the congregations. After he had met with the elders from Ephesus for the last time, "they fell upon Paul's neck and tenderly kissed him, because they were especially pained at the word he had spoken that they were going to behold his face no more." The departure of a proud, aloof man would not have caused that reaction.-Acts 20:37, 38.

I wonder how many COs and DOs in today's WT are treated the same by those without special privileges? Or unable to give a green handshake?

Q 19. How can we show "lowliness of mind" in our dealings with fellow Christians?

19. All who wish to progress spiritually must manifest a humble spirit as Paul did. He exhorted fellow Christians to do "nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with lowliness of mind considering that the others are superior to you." (Phil. 2:3) How can we follow that counsel? One way is by cooperating with the elders in our congregation, following their direction and upholding judicial decisions made by them. (Read Hebrews 13:17.) Another way is by highly esteeming all our brothers and sisters in the faith. The congregations of Jehovah's people are often composed of individuals of diverse national, cultural, racial, and ethnic backgrounds. Should we, though, not learn to treat all with impartiality and affection, as Paul did? (Acts 17:26; Rom. 12:10a) We are encouraged to welcome one another, just as the Christ also welcomed us, with glory to God in view."-Rom.15:7.

fellow Christians - not Jehovah's Witnesses, not some named by the WTS until 1931

"cooperating with the elders in our congregation, following their direction and upholding judicial decisions" even if they are wrong.

Jehovah's people--only jws

"Run With Endurance" the Race for Life

Q 20, 21. What will help us to run the race for life successfully?

20. The life of a Christian can be likened to a long-distance footrace. Paul wrote: "I have run the course to the finish, I have observed the faith. From this time on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me as a reward in that day, yet not only to me, but also to all those who have loved his manifestation."-2 Tim. 4:7, 8.

Christian--only jw

So do the "other sheep" look forward to a "crown of righteousness"? Where are the unanointed in this paragraph?

21. Following Paul's example will help us to run the race for eternal life successfully. (Heb. 12:1) By all means, then, let us continue to make spiritual progress by developing a good routine of personal study, by cultivating deep love for people, and by maintaining a humble attitude.

CARROT: eternal life.

routine--sounds boring

How Would You Answer?

How did Paul benefit from regular personal study of the Scriptures?

Why is deep love for people important for true Christians?

Having what qualities will help you to treat others impartially?

How can Paul's example help you to cooperate with the elders in your congregation?

CONCLUDING COMMENTS

The real point in this article is to obey the elders no matter what. So many jws I know do the passive resistance route. They get the minimum in field circus, go to enough meetings to stay off the elder radar, do whatever they want at home, videos, movies, games, highlighting the WT on the way to the meeting, never donating any money to the congregation. They aren't concerned about what God might see only humans.

Next week, THINGS FROM WHICH WE MUST FLEE. Can you guess what they might be?

Love, Blondie

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Blondie:

Thank you so much Blondie!

N.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

we must flee from the internet? JWD discussion boards - fornication perhaps?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Blondie,

I enjoyed this summary -- and your emphasis on how Paul didn't need extra-Biblical writings. The WTS acts like their writings are "vital". What self-importance they have.

You mentioned that this article is designed to promote loyalty to the elders. Notice how paragraph 13 claims that love (which I thought was supposed to be the whole point of Christianity) is tied up in preaching -- that everyone should desire to preach!

Yet if they go to another verse written by their hero Paul, the JW's would see Ephesians 4:11 - which says he has given SOME as apostles, SOME as prophets, SOME evangelists, SOME as shepherds and teachers. It's obvious not all would be "evangelists" as the JW's teach you must be to be viewed as loving and worthy of life.

The way JW's make you feel that you're never good enough, no wonder they try to make everybody think they must be like an idealized Apostle Paul.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one
    I was surprised how many still wanted to know what their family and friends were being exposed to each week. Now instead of the WT way, each of us have a choice to read or not read the material ... Does this bring people out of the WTS? I can't say to numbers...

(Forgive me for the dreaded ellipses LOL)

Personally, I value your efforts very much because it is the only way I have consistent access to the study articles, and as a non-JW I also find your analyses very helpful in deciphering them and seeing what is truly being said, especially in subtler terms of history and context. I don't know if it brings people out of the WTS, I can only speak for myself as one who was never in the WTS to begin with, but for those of us who are trying to get loved ones out your work is invaluable.

I don't often comment on the threads, but I do read them and appreciate knowing that I've this huge resource at my fingertips when I need it. So thank you, from one who values your work very much but rarely says so

(As for the upcoming "Things From Which We Must Flee," I expect a long and predictable list )

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Blondie, I hope your opening comments aren't a response to the nasty thread about you on the other discussion board. Your work, along with many others here, was very instrumental in my leaving JWs. Thank you.

Justitia

• Robert222
    Robert222

I started reading Blondie's comments a few years back, and I felt it was validation for what I was thinking during the Watchtower studies at the KH. Her reviews have been a major positive influence and helped me to have courage to walk away from the JW religion. I was forced into the JW cult as a child, I never thought other people felt the same way I did, Blondie's study articles and this dicussion board has given me tremendous support.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks blondie

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Been awhile since I read a WT or your comments.

Thanks for the reminder of how much I am missing :P

Thanks for all you do, I see that the WT still has about the same amount of paragraphs, but the article seemed shorter than usual, Is it just me?

purps

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Blondie! Your labor of love shows here. You have helped many to see and understand the watchtower study for what it is. As long as you enjoy doing this and it does not add to your health concerns, I and many others will continue to benefit from your sacrifice in time and effort.

Don't let the negative talk of a few take away your labor of love for us. Besides "Comments" you have given us an abundance of other materials by your other topics and post's that you have responded to.

As a former watchtower study conductor, I know the work and effort that goes into preparing for these study articles. You are to be commended.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit